Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero, Inc. is helping 200,000+ borrowers manage and eliminate over $3.5 billion dollars in student loan debt. We’re on a mission to help 44 million Americans manage their student loans smarter.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the Student Loan Hero Writer do?
The mission of the Writer is to craft amazing articles and other content that knocks our readers’ socks off. We want the reaction to our writing to be “Wow! This is the most useful resource I’ve ever read on the topic!”
- Write articles on topics related to student loans and personal finance for the Student Loan Hero website
- Make concepts from the often-confusing world of student loans and personal finance easy to understand so that our readers can take action.
- Identify interesting topics that will make for a compelling article and address an audience need.
- Conduct interviews and research for the stories you write
- Create and publish content for Student Loan Hero on external sites, such as Forbes, Huffington Post, Entrepreneur, and more.
- Contribute to the content team’s and company’s goals by initiating or helping out with projects as needed
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Los Angeles, Santiago, and St. Petersburg, Russia.
Since we’re located all over the world, communication using Slack, Gmail, Jira, Zoom, and other tools is key for us. Don’t worry—you won’t be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
As a growing company, most team members get to wear multiple hats, giving you tremendous learning and development opportunities. We believe in giving our team members autonomy to work on projects that interest them. Also, we place value on the output of each team member, and not simply the amount of facetime or hours you spend working.
A large part of our culture and values is transparency – we believe that team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
At the same time, we like to make work as much fun as possible and “embrace the weird” about ourselves. We encourage our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational stipends, as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re proud to work on meaningful projects that impact the financial health of millions of people.
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship is required.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2+ years experience writing and publishing online
- Ability to research and contribute ideas you can write about
- Ability to quickly turn around assignments for breaking news, etc.
- Experience with conducting interviews for articles
- Experience writing about student loans and other personal finance topics is strongly preferred
- Experience promoting your work (on social media, via email, etc.) is preferred
- Familiarity with WordPress is preferred
- Familiarity with SEO best practices is preferred
- Experience in working remotely (preferred)
- Availability to travel up to one week per quarter for work-related activities and events (required)
The Interview Process:
- Preliminary phone screen
- Sample blog post assignment
- One-on-one interview
- Group interview
- Executive interview
- Reference check
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a brand new MacBook Pro, and a $1,000 technology stipend to purchase a desk or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space).
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan, plus you get up to $150/month for gym, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss programs, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, as well as a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.