In 2017, over one billion migrants worldwide will have sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing the foreign governmental aid their home countries receive. In the age of Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more to reach their recipients.
Wave’s mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world as easy and affordable as sending a text. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly and affordably to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, & Tanzania, saving our users countless hours and tens of millions of dollars in transfer fees.
We recently launched remittances to Ghana, where we’re growing quickly, and are looking to rapidly expand throughout Africa in the next year. We are working hard to scale our product and internal tools to handle more users and take on new markets. That’s where you come in…
HOW YOU’LL HELP US ACHIEVE IT
- Own projects end-to-end. We don’t have project managers, so each of us owns our work from solution development through post-production monitoring
- Create low-cost, high-leverage experiments and fixes. When they work, make them robust enough to become essential elements of our code base
- Build internal tools and improve system performance to help us accommodate exponential growth
- Integrate with new partners in both sending & receiving countries
- Design new features for users and our internal team based on user feedback, requests, and app analytics
- Do a bit of everything. We each own parts of the code base, but as a fast-growing company we often help in other areas as the need arises
WHAT WILL MAKE YOU A GOOD FIT
- You’re excited to work remotely on a small, tight-knit team. Our head of engineering, Ruthie, works with engineers to distribute projects in a way that allows everyone to work on things that they’re excited about. Our company size means you’ll often do much of your day’s work alone but also that you’ll be exposed to every piece of and person in our business.
- You don’t like meetings for meetings’ sake but you do like meeting your colleagues. We’re spare on meetings – we have a weekly all hands and bi-weekly one-on-ones, which are supplemented by informal check-ins as needed. As a distributed team, we communicate on slack and skype, and four times a year our full team gets together in person for a week-long retreat.
- You have the skills and habits to grow to working independently within your first 6 months.
We are a distributed group of six engineers and thirteen ops team members spread across three continents who are extremely excited about our mission. We play in bands, teach dance classes, write for 538.com & the Washington Post, played semi-pro basketball, and take trips to the arctic circle to capture the Northern Lights & a meteor shower all in the same night. We’re backed by world Silicon Valley investors.
If interested, please contact our Head of International Remittance, Will Fogel, at firstname.lastname@example.org.