Variphy is looking for a full-time MySQL Database Engineer/DBA to join our agile team.
We are a 100% remote team based in the United States, which you must be as well.
We develop a Java-based solution that is packaged for deployment onto Windows, Linux, and Mac OS machines. Some of the core functionality involves software-automated configuration, schema management, and querying of MySQL (and SQL Server) databases from on-premises customer installations. Thus, for this role, we are looking for candidates that not only have experience setting-up, administering, and troubleshooting production MySQL database servers, but also have experience in the realm of database development — optimizing schema and performance, developing disaster recovery/migration strategies, and providing specialized advice to your peers on the product development team.
Additionally, since SQL Server is also an option, any experience involving SQL Server (in addition to MySQL) would give a candidate lots of extra credit. If you have not had much experience with SQL Server, we are looking for a candidate that would be eager to learn SQL Server-specific configurations, pitfalls, etc. starting on Day 1.
Although our customers here at Variphy install our product on their preferred operating system, Linux (particularly Ubuntu) is becoming the most popular choice. Thus, in addition to MySQL experience, an ideal candidate for this role would also have experience and comfort working in a Linux environment. If you use desktop Linux at home or in your current role, we’d love to chat. And if you have had experience as more of a systems administrator (in addition to MySQL experience), we’d really love to chat!
Finally, since Variphy is a 100% remote team, in order to thrive in this position, you should be a team player who communicates well, makes great use of your time, and will succeed in a fast-paced environment.
- Serve as subject matter expert for software development and customer support teams for all things MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server
- Provide guidance and technical escalation assistance to customer support engineering team
- Work with software development team to optimize configuration, connectivity, schema, and queries for MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server database servers
- Setup and oversee all Variphy-internal and customer production database servers
- Recommend database software configurations for various database sizes and use cases
- Develop and direct setup of redundant and robust database systems
- Develop data migration and recovery strategies for use by the customer support engineering team
- Ability and desire to work remotely
- 3+ years of professional DBA and/or systems administration experience
- Ability to manage multiple, simultaneous issues
- Excellent team-player who is always happy to help others
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Previous experience working remotely
- An engineering/technical degree or similar
- Working with customers – both technical and non-technical
- Expert-level experience with MySQL (version 5.x and ideally 8.0), including installation, configuration, upgrades, migration, backup and recovery, monitoring, and performance tuning
- Proficient in relational database/schema design, SQL query and stored procedure development and enhancement
- Experience in a Linux environment, particularly involving system-level configuration and monitoring
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server (version 2012 and later)
- Proficient with VMWare ESX or similar
- Cloud hosting experience (DigitalOcean, Linode, AWS, etc)
- Experience with Cisco Unified Communications/Collaboration
- Experience with Chef or Puppet for configuration management
- Migrating databases/data from MySQL to Microsoft SQL Server (or vice versa)
- Experience with other database types (Informix, Postgres, Mongo, etc.)
- Experience with Cisco IOS-based ASAs, routers, or switches