Anywhere (Remote or In Office), $25-30/hour, 12 weeks
Stack Overflow exists to serve developers’ needs. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. As a UX research intern this year, you’ll have a major impact on our platform by leading research in a product area and equipping that product team with insightful, actionable user research.
We’re looking for someone with some practical research experience – in academia or otherwise – who is excited to evangelize user research within the company. You’ll have an immediate impact on an existing product – executing both exploratory and evaluative research in the 12 weeks of your internship. As our only UX Research Intern, and as one of only two research team members within the larger design team, you’ll be working on mission-critical research with a product team that’s very invested in your work. As last summer’s intern can vouch, you’ll get valuable experience as a core member of the team, and your work will be impactful from the start.
Skills & Requirements
What you’ll do:
- Partner with a research mentor as well as members of your product team to explore a product domain and rapidly iterate on features
- Create research plans with your product team, then execute & provide analysis on the results of those studies
- Recruit and manage study participants
- Shape future product direction with clear, actionable write-ups of your findings
What we want to see:
- We’re interested in candidates with two different research backgrounds:
- In-progress advanced (MA, PhD) degree in HCI, Human Factors, Psychology, Sociology, or other related subject
- AND/OR, work in a related field (ex. social science, design, data science) and demonstrated interest and effort in refocusing your career towards UX Research
- Experience with and/or knowledge of a range of qualitative research methodologies, including user interviews, usability testing, diary studies, and surveying
- Demonstrated leadership abilities: ability to take full ownership over a research project from beginning to end
- Comfort with conducting research and other day-to-day job functions remotely through video chat
- Highly organized approach to managing and conducting research projects
- Excellent written communication skills, and an ability to explain research outcomes to a wide audience
- Candidates can be located anywhere, but will need to work during hours that overlap significantly with US Eastern Time
Applications will close on February 23, 2018.
We will begin contacting applicants at that time.
About Stack Overflow
Our goal is to make the Internet a better place to get expert answers to your questions. We’ve done a lot of that with Stack Overflow, but we think there’s still more to do.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have offices in New York and London with some of the best amenities of any startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum, and will never poke you with a sharp stick.
Diverse teams build better products
Legally, we need you to know this: Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this: We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest online community for programmers to learn, share their knowledge, and advance their careers. Developers trust Stack Overflow to help solve coding problems and turn to Stack Overflow Careers to find job opportunities.
Founded in 2008, Stack Overflow is visited by more than 30 million developers each month and is the flagship site of the Stack Exchange network, 140+ Q&A sites dedicated to niche topics.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. Stack Overflow currently employs more than 250 people in its head offices in New York, Denver, and London as well as remote workers from Israel, Brazil, Japan, Germany, Slovenia, France, Russia, the Philippines, Canada, the UK, and the United States. The company is committed to diversity in the workplace and is currently hiring. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum, and will never poke you with a sharp stick.