We’re looking for a passionate, driven and experienced engineer to work with our world-class Data & Learning team.
At Pocket we love what we do, but more importantly we are building something that millions of people love, too. Pocket has become essential to how people discover and consume content worthy of their time and attention on any device and on their own time. If you are passionate about using technology to improve people’s lives, we believe Pocket has challenges ahead that will excite you.
With millions of people discovering and consuming content across the Pocket platform, our community generates one of the most unique and interesting sets of data on the web. We are looking to expand our team to help achieve our mission of advancing access to and discovery of high-quality, personalized content across the web. If you are interested in applying your engineering skills to help design, test and launch new data-driven features and products that allow people to focus and become more knowledgeable about the things that interest them, then Pocket might be the place for you!
We’re a small team that has the resources of a large company (Pocket was acquired by Mozilla in 2017) and that means lots of opportunity to own projects from start to finish that have tremendous impact on hundreds of millions of users, across many different devices and platforms. Your role will fundamentally affect the success of Pocket.
Come work with us and make a huge impact.
What you’ll do:
- Own significant pieces of our architecture that millions of users interact with and hundreds of developers build applications upon.
- Work directly with our Data & Learning team building and scaling the infrastructure that powers Pocket’s recommendations seen by hundreds of millions of users in Pocket, Firefox and beyond.
- Take on challenges relating to scaling our platform, improving our API, enhancing user-facing features (sync, search, recommendations, etc.) and measuring and optimizing everything we do.
- Collaborate with engineers, data scientists, product managers and support teams to implement our product strategy.
- Contribute to a world-class team and shape the future of data at Pocket.
What you already have:
- You love combining data + engineering and problem solving how to create incredible experiences at their intersection.
- A B.S. in Computer Science would be lovely, but real-world experience is preferred.
- You have at least 3 years professional experience. Experience scaling a platform to handle millions of users a plus. Consumer-facing product experience a plus.
- You are a strong programmer with experience with Python, PHP, Java or equivalent (and comfortable writing code without support of frameworks).
- You have worked on large codebases, complex data sets and deployed solutions using Amazon Web Services to production audiences.
- You uphold standards for quality and performance by performing code reviews, fixing bugs, creating tests, and profiling code.
- You possess strong communication skills and an ability to approach problems in a structured way and distill complex issues into actionable insights.
- While not required, any direct experience with text mining and parsing, designing and implementing data pipelines, Elasticsearch or equivalent are all considered a plus.
Mozilla is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity throughout our recruiting and hiring process and is dedicated to growing diversity in our workplace.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.