Normally we hire candidates from anywhere in the world. However, right now we are in need of someone who can who can support our growing team during North American and South American business hours (UTC -3 to UTC -9).
We’re looking for someone to help cultivate our growing Support team at Zapier. Currently, there are 6 Support Managers managing 29 Customer Champions, and we’re looking to add to the Support Manager group to make sure small teams stay at the heart of Zapier as we grow. Support managers help users directly, work with Customer Champions to make them successful and ensure consistency in the Support Team, and otherwise help set the direction for support at Zapier. If you love helping users and developing others who help them, then read on!
We know applying for and taking on a new a job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you’ll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we are looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the individual who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if:
You have a heart for users and love helping them directly. You also enjoy leveling up teams and enabling them to do their best work.
You put your teammates’ and customers’ needs first. You enjoy helping support teams and enabling them to do great work. You put in the time to understand the strengths and weaknesses of those who report to you, providing ways to magnify their strengths and provide feedback to improve their weaknesses.
You are results-oriented.You hold your team accountable to goals and stay aligned with company-wide priorities, while enabling your team to work autonomously.
You have excellent communication skills. You make sure those who report to you understand how they are doing and what is important at any point in time. You’re always available with a suggestion on how to phrase a response to a tricky customer ticket.
You have experience hiring and managing a team. This isn’t your first rodeo. You have hired, trained and managed folks before.
You love helping users directly. Everyone at Zapier does Support, and as a leader in the Support team it’s part of your daily routine. You make customers feel empowered after interacting with support and not feel stupid because of a small mistake. You love the opportunity to solve new problems every day and won’t give up when you don’t know the answer right away.
You wear many hats. You are constantly leveling up your people management skills. You have the relevant Support skills to build rapport with those you manage. On a weekly basis you can expect to be holding one-on-ones with Customer Champions, thinking through tricky tickets and giving feedback, prioritizing Support project work, and helping influence the direction of Support for all of Zapier.
You take pride in empowering teammates. As a manager you know that by helping to get the best out of many people, you can achieve results far greater than would be possible alone. That challenge motivates and excites you.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you’ll probably do:
- Help meet and exceed our Support goals
- Build rapport with members of the Support team and work hard to help them level up their skills
- Collaborate with other Support leads and managers to prioritize project work and set direction for Support as a whole
- Help customers via email or chat to ensure they have the best experience possible, troubleshooting their problems and answering their questions
- Hold weekly one on ones with members of the Support team
- Experiment: this is a startup so everything can change
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
If you want to work remote, that’s great. If you want to work near others, that’s cool too. Our team of 100+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don’t have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don’t use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents
Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies.
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
Complete this form with answers to the below questions. Make sure each answer stands alone as we review question-by-question instead of applicant-by-applicant.
- Tell us why you will be a good fit for this role.
- Why do you want to work for Zapier instead of somewhere else?
- What do you think the fundamental purpose of a manager is?
- What are some of the most common ways people fail at management?
- How many people have you managed in the past? And what were your responsibilities managing them?
- In Support, what should our goal be when replying to users?
- A user requests an integration that we don’t yet support. Compose a reply to that user.
- Send us a link to an app’s API docs that you think are well done, and explain why you think they are good.
- Optional: Share anonymously some demographic information about yourself to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Finally, wait for us to reply! You are going to hear back from us, even if we don’t seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.