We are looking for a Staff Engineer to join our growing Core Services, Engineering Group. You will work with key technical partners across the organization to ensure that BenchSci’s development tooling and engineering practices can support our long-term growth. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you will provide technical leadership across several areas within the team, lead complex projects, participate in roadmap and project planning, and contribute to BenchSci’s technical roadmap. You will help foster the growth of other individual contributors while also playing an important role in helping us scale as we continue to improve scientific discovery long-term.
- Identify parts of our system and codebases that do not scale or meet reliability, observability and security requirements.
- Collaborate with our infrastructure team to drive high-quality designs to improve and scale our infrastructure provisioning and CI/CD pipelines.
- Partner with several engineering teams and identify opportunities to improve our development tooling, frameworks and infrastructure.
- Partner with other Staff Engineers, Engineering Managers and Directors to devise and refine requirements to create development tooling, and build systems and services that accelerate the velocity of our engineers and improve their quality of life.
- Lead software and system design initiatives by leveraging cloud-native design patterns and injecting your cloud expertise into the entire development lifecycle.
- Be an inspiring coach to other engineers
- Be an advocate for us and its engineering team through multiple channels
8+ years of professional development experience, with 2 years at a Staff level, in the following areas:
- Develop, maintain, and scale CI/CD pipelines.
- Develop, maintain, and scale build tools supporting large monorepo codebases.
- Experience working with build tools like Bazel (or Buck) is considered an asset
- An understanding of Python programming language and it’s ecosystem;
- Experience with containerization, and experience with Docker
- Work with infrastructure-as-code solutions such as Terraform or KCC
- Monitor services and infrastructure, log collection, analytics, error reporting and application performance monitoring.
- Work with any of the major public cloud providers like GCP, AWS or Azure
- Able to translate business concerns into technical implementations
- Able to guide engineering teams toward making a decision while minimizing friction and using influence as effectively as direct control.
- Experience executing large, organization-wide migrations
Benefits and Perks:
- An engaging remote-first culture
- A great compensation package that includes BenchSci equity options
- 15 days vacation plus an additional day every year; plus company closures for 15 more days throughout the year
- Unlimited flex time for sick days, personal days, religious holidays
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits Emphasis on mental health with $2500 CAD* for Psychologist, Social Worker, or Psychotherapist services
- A $2000 CAD* Annual Learning & Development budget
- A $1000 CAD* home office set-up budget
- A $2500 CAD*wellness, lifestyle and productivity spending account for employees
- Generous parental leave benefits with a top-up plan or paid time off options
*Benefits are tied to Canadian dollar amounts and would be converted to local currency for those in other countries. Moving to local currency allotments in the future.
BenchSci’s vision is to help scientists bring novel medicine to patients 50% faster by 2025. We empower scientists to run more successful experiments with the world’s most advanced, biomedical artificial intelligence software platform.
Backed by F-Prime, Inovia, Golden Ventures, and Google’s AI fund, Gradient Ventures, we provide an indispensable tool for scientists that accelerates research at 16 top 20 pharmaceutical companies and over 4,300 leading academic centers. We’re a certified Great Place to Work®, and top-ranked company on Glassdoor.
BenchSci relentlessly builds on its strong foundation of culture. We put team members first, knowing that they’re the organization’s beating heart. We invest as much in our people as our products. Our culture fosters transparency, collaboration, and continuous learning.
We value each other’s differences and always look for opportunities to embed equity into the fabric of our work. We foster diversity, autonomy, and personal growth, and provide resources to support motivated self-leaders in continuous improvement.
You will work with high-impact, highly skilled, and intelligent experts motivated to drive impact and fulfill a meaningful mission. We empower you to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and thrive. Here you will be challenged to stretch yourself to achieve the seemingly impossible. Learn more about our culture.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: We’re committed to creating an inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. We believe that improving diversity, equity and inclusion is our collective responsibility, and this belief guides our DEI journey. Learn more about our DEI initiatives.
Accessibility Accommodations: Should you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.