The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
We’re looking for an experienced Android Engineer and technical leader to play a pivotal role in our Android development team. Successful candidates will be heavily involved in developing and architecting our Android application, ensuring performance, scalability, and usability. This is a senior-level position that offers opportunities to lead and mentor other team members while partnering with our product team to grow an exciting app!
Role can be based in a 100% remote capacity within the United States or Canada.
You can check out our current Android app here:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.theathletic
- Represent the Android platform in Product, Design and Engineering discussions.
- Guide the app architecture for performance, growth, scalability, ease of future development, and code quality.
- Work with the Android development team to continue delivering a product that is highly rated and well-engineered.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and support to other developers on the team, helping them grow their engineering skills.
- Investigate, debug, and fix user-reported production issues.
- Brainstorm new product ideas and improvements alongside the design and product teams.
- Refactor existing code where needed in order to improve quality of life for the other engineers.
- Evaluate and improve processes in the Software Development Lifecycle to enhance developer productivity.
- 6+ years experience with native Android development and current experience in Kotlin.
- Proven track record of building and releasing Android applications on the Google Play Store.
- Experience with Android development tools, libraries, and Google Architecture best practices.
- Preferred experience with GraphQL, Coroutines & Jetpack Compose.
- Knowledge of software development best practices, including design patterns, code quality, and code reviews.
- Consumer-facing product and design instincts with a desire to have a voice in product decisions.
- Role can be based in a 100% remote capacity within the United States or Canada.
The annual base salary range for this role is $160,000.00 – $175,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
– Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
– Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
– 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
– Paid time off including paid sick leave, 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days of accrued paid time off, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.