At Medium, words matter. We are building the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.
As part of Medium’s editorial operation, the curation team evaluates thousands of stories published on Medium each day for quality and marks those judged to be high-quality for distribution.
Medium is searching for an experienced manager with a discerning eye for editorial quality to support Medium’s curation lead and the growing team. Experience running remote teams and working with product/data teams is strongly preferred.
This person loves to read and has a sixth sense for what other people want to read, no matter the topic. You are passionate about many different subject areas and have a knack for assessing a piece of writing on its own merits, not measured against the standards of the mainstream media. You are organized and think operationally, capable of context-switching while juggling several priorities, and able to take a top-level view of daily and weekly goals while ensuring details don’t fall through the cracks. You are flexible, love working on a team, and think creatively to approach challenges.
What you’ll do
- Support the curation lead in all aspects of day-to-day work
- Handle scheduling for a team of 25+ remote curators around the world (this requires lots of Slack communication)
- Manage remote curators, delivering feedback as needed
- Support curation lead in recruiting, hiring, and training new curators
- Use quality assessment tools and your own editorial judgment to provide regular qualitative feedback to curators
- Advise curation lead on improvements to curation staffing, systems, and operations
- Monitor and interpret curation data
- Ensure quantitative goals are met
- Logistical support: contracts, scheduling, bugs, etc.
Who you are
- You have experience judging and improving editorial quality
- You’ve led a remote team
- You’ve worked with high-quality writing and skilled writers
- You’re patient, kind, and thoughtful, and you work well with different personality types
- You have a working knowledge of copyright, fair use, and plagiarism issues, as well as fact-checking and other nuanced editorial skills
- Technical expertise in a field such as software engineering, data science, or design is a plus
- You’re a positive and energetic influence, ready and eager to learn and adapt
This role is based in San Francisco (preferred). Remote and New York-based employees will be considered.
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.