npm is the world’s largest software repository, with more than 10 million users and over 26 billion software package downloads every month. Our website is the portal for those users to get information about the packages they need, to discover packages, and to maintain their [Orgs](https://www.npmjs.com/docs/orgs/) and personal accounts. It’s also the first impression for marketing, sales, and support customers. We need you to help us build this incredibly important piece of our company.
What You’ll Do
Have you noticed the brand new npm website? We shipped that. Would you like to work on it with us? Our team values empathy for the people we work with and the community we work for. We support each other. We are purposeful in our actions and effective at collaboration. Clear documentation is a part of our process from our READMEs to our pull requests. We love pairing and actively seek out one another’s input.
In this position, you’ll get to:
- Work with a modern web framework [React] to deliver features and products.
- Write internal documentation. This includes RFCs for new features as well as descriptions of APIs.
- Collaborate with teams across the entire company from sales and marketing to support to other parts of engineering. The website is one of the few places where you’ll find stakeholders in every department.
- Contribute to one of many open source projects that we maintain for the community.
- Care about accessibility and the way your work affects others.
- Help keep the registry running smoothly with the support of your colleagues.
Our Code of Conduct
Why You Should Join
In joining the npm team, you’ll become an important part of a small but dedicated engineering team. We strive to provide a sensible working environment that doesn’t ask for or encourage habitual overtime and we offer flexibility in schedule. We have a progressive parental leave policy and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated and enforced. We also understand that healthy schedules lead to better outcomes. To help ensure this balance we have contracted support night coverage so we don’t interrupt anyone’s sleep.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
Where We Can Hire
Our headquarters are in Oakland, California. The web team is hiring worldwide. We can best support you if you can overlap with US time zones. We currently have team members in the Bay Area, Seattle, and the UK. We cannot currently sponsor new work visas other than TN-1s, but we can transfer existing H-1Bs.