npm is the world’s largest software repository, with over 10 million users and over 40 billion software package downloads every month. Our systems are critical to software engineers all over the world and used in every industry; from the public registry, which serves packages to open source engineers and small organizations, to our new enterprise solution, which provides single tenant registries for medium and large customers.
What You’ll Do
You are a capable engineer with a passion for working on open source projects and a strong desire to grow. As a member of our open source team you will work in a creative environment tackling complex problems. Our work has far-reaching impact and you will play an important role in the feature delivery by solving technical challenges driving the implementation.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together:
Support Open Source Projects & foster the community
- Introduce new features that have either been proposed by internal product management or via our public RFC system
- support and advocate for npm’s open source community and communicate with them through our community forums and other public venues
- maintain and further improve the codebase of the CLI to make it more stable and easy to change
Support a modern software practice
- Follow processes, align work with guidance and goals, and collaborate with other team members to deliver
- Improve the frequency and quality of iterations over time through process, tooling, and providing feedback
- Ensure work follows our evolving standards, guidelines and recommendations
Support the product strategy
- Build features and experiences that reduce effort for our customers and generate tangible value
- Assist in improvements to our technology stack in ways that will positively impact our customers and community
- Maintain and evolve the codebase and systems in support of the portfolio’s roadmap
If you are excited about these are elements and interested in joining the team dedicated to the mission of improving our open source products, this is the ideal role for you.
- Experience in building modern and fast command line applications
- Experience in interacting with and leading open-source projects and fostering communities
- Knowledge of HTTP and experience with HTTP APIs, including caching and CDN behavior
Our Code of Conduct
Why You Should Join
In joining the npm team, you’ll become an important part of a small but dedicated engineering team. We strive to provide a sensible working environment that doesn’t ask for or encourage habitual overtime and we offer flexibility in schedule. We have a progressive parental leave policy and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated and enforced. We also understand that healthy schedules lead to better outcomes. To help ensure this balance we have contracted support night coverage so we don’t interrupt anyone’s sleep.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, and people from low-income families.
Where We Can Hire
Our headquarters are in Oakland, California. We can best support you if you can overlap with US time zones. We currently have team members across the US time zones and in the UK, Canada, and Mexico. We cannot currently sponsor new work visas, but we can transfer existing H-1Bs.