We’re looking for a senior visual designer to join our team and help us make Glitch the best place to discover and create apps anywhere on the web.
Embedded within the design team, you’ll work across the org to help new users, app discoverers, and creators understand what Glitch is, try coding, and learn about the open culture of the web. Your contributions will focus around tightening up our design system and brand, building the fun and welcoming personality of our brand through great user experience and user interfaces, and helping to build functionality that improves discoverability and onboarding across Glitch properties. You’ll also help us communicate the value of Glitch’s platform and community to a wide audience.
You’ll be joining a team of creators who all bring varied experiences and skills to their work. If you’d like to work on one of the web’s most standout brands at a tech company devoted to being ethical, and with some of the smartest and most talented people of your career, you’re in the right place! Our design team is growing and you will bolster our efforts with your commitment to thoughtful design practices and your willingness to work in a small team to make big things happen.
Glitch is committed to diversity and inclusion and we welcome your application whether you completely match our criteria below or not. Priority will be placed on your design portfolio, cover letter, and résumé in that order. We employ a humane interview process and strive to update you on the status of your application as quickly as possible. Our typical process takes about 3.5 hours of your time (not all at once), includes a walk-through of a project likely already in your portfolio, and includes no take-home exercises or on-the-spot quizzes. We want to get to know you, your work experience and your process. Please apply, we’d love to chat!
- A portfolio demonstrating exemplary user interface (UI) design and visual design work (graphic design, branding or communications) Your portfolio is the most important part of your application. Make it shine!
- 3+ years digital product design experience working with teams
- Proficiency with design and prototyping software like Sketch, Illustrator, Figma, and/or InVision
- If not based in NYC, experience working remotely
We’d be particularly delighted to hire someone with:
- An understanding of and experience with UX and product design
- Experience with animation and/or video and photo editing for the web
- Experience with print design and programs like Adobe InDesign Illustration and/or branding experience
- Enthusiasm for coding on the web
- Collaborative approach to design process
- Great writing skills. Share a link to your blog!
Typical examples of what your work might look like:
- Working with a product team to improve discoverability and retention across Glitch products
- Working with marketing to communicate the value of the Glitch platform and community to a wide audience
- Working with other designers to evolve the Glitch brand and implement changes across Glitch properties
Most importantly, we are looking for:
- People who care deeply about empowering others to create on the web, and who are thoughtful about how to serve a broad set of audiences
- Informed opinions on aesthetic design, and a willingness to both take feedback and advocate for design integrity
- An ability to balance respectful collaboration, both with colleagues on our team and with members of the Glitch community
- Self-initiated, driven designers who are comfortable taking on ownership and responsibility
- Designers who can confidently run with a project from zero to shipped
- A commitment to being part of a thoughtful, ethical and inclusive workplace
While our office is in New York City, about half of our employees are remote. You’ll be part of a distributed work culture where all of our meetings are online and apps and tools like Slack and Google Hangouts are the default way of communicating.
We offer fair, competitive, and transparent pay. The pay range for this position is $110,000 – 130,000, plus equity and we look at factors like your experience to make our offer, which comes with a comprehensive benefits package. You can learn more about our values and how we run our company by reading our public employee handbook on our Careers Page.