[As of June 2020, Quora has become a “remote-first” company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the world, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people’s heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world’s knowledge, and we’re building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
Every day, millions of people seek answers and share their knowledge through Quora. To foster this marketplace of knowledge, we need to build systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; that show you answers to questions you didn’t know you had, on topics you didn’t know you liked, and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet.
The Product Engineering teams focus on growth, engagement, and activation. This work includes how we distribute content to the right people, how we curate content on Quora, and how we engage new users, writers, and readers. This also includes defining, shaping, and changing the fundamental dynamics of Quora, to create a compelling and cohesive experience for users to share and grow knowledge.
About the Role:
Full-stack product engineers work closely with cross-functional members to drive product decisions, designs, and implementations. We strive to build scalable, reliable, user-friendly, and highly personalized products for our 300 million+ monthly unique visitors on Quora.
- Develop full-stack web applications with Python, TypeScript, React, GraphQL, etc.
- Design and implement core product features to support growth and user engagement in key Quora experiences such as Spaces, user feeds, and user emails
- Collaborate with designers, product managers, data scientists, and other engineers to prototype and implement functionality and analyze the impact
- Play a major role in team planning by creating actionable plans with proper prioritization
- Drive system stability and product excellence
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to peers, grow team knowledge
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora’s “coordination hours” (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- 5+ years of professional software development experience building consumer or enterprise web products
- 3+ years of backend development experience with storage systems such as MySQL, HBase, or Redis
- 1+ years of web frontend development experience. React, GraphQL, TypeScript experience is a plus
- Excellent coding skills with proficiency in Python, Java or similar programming language
- Ability to think holistically about a complex, social product, and map big picture metrics to a realistic, actionable plan
- Excellent communication skills to ensure that both your project and its dependencies are successful
- A consistent track record of successfully leading and coordinating projects across teams or functions
- 1+ years of experience using open-source data infrastructure technologies, such as Kafka, Airflow, and Spark
- Passion for experimentation and new ideas
- Love of the Quora product
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.