We’re a tech company that’s changing how people bank and think about their finances. We value empathy, curiosity, craft and efficacy. Our mission is to help people feel confident with their money. We do that by bringing humanity, elegance and ease to the consumer banking experience. And we make banking beautiful.
Think about how you’d build something to improve people’s lives and turn the financial industry upside down. How good is that going to feel? We are doing just that at Simple. Our mission is to enable our customers to become confident with their finances and to do so we are radically rethinking the consumer banking experience and we need your help.
Product Management at Simple is responsible for defining the vision, strategy and roadmap in order to realize our vision of better banking. In this role, you’ll have the independence of a startup in finding the products and features that are usable, valuable, and feasible with the backing of one of the world’s most successful banks, BBVA. In this role, you’ll work with researchers and interview customers to understand their psychology, behaviors and desires. You’ll work with great teams across design, data, engineering, marketing and customer service to help ship our product by employing careful listening, decision making, and leadership.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Act as product manager to support interdisciplinary “Product Teams”, consisting of designers, researchers and developers to solve for critical customer or business challenges and outcomes.
- Provide input into long term product vision and strategy in order to create a compelling business case with unique strategic advantage that drives customer delight.
- Help create short and long term plans for area of focus based on assessment of the value of their product, feature, or outcome.
- Look more than 18 months out in area and larger roadmap.
- Provide clear vision for work and how it contributes to company goals.
- Define metrics and goals within specified product area and communicate and work with Lead Product Manager to align across the organization.
- Work with other divisions to coordinate large projects or programs, and cooperate to achieve larger goals
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders, ensure that their voices are heard in the vision, strategy and roadmap prioritization of the Product Team.
- Provide guidance within the organization on build, buy, partner opportunities affecting your area.
- Provide mentorship and guidance to other Product Managers within the team, promoting their personal growth and development within our practice.
- Promote team health by continuing to advocate for improved processes and methodologies.
- Create and improve product metrics that enable us to understand business impact and customer behavior within area of focus.
- Be an expert on your area and able to inspire others with your knowledge and passion.
- Operate with minimal supervision, with regular check-ins guiding your decisions.
- Communicate on work and broader world of area in status and all-hands.
What We’re Looking For:
- Craft: 5+ years in product management (or equivalent) experience with SaaS or customer-facing web or mobile technology products. Experience taking a product from concept to launch to optimization is a big plus.
- Efficacy: Brings a savvy business and customer-centric data-driven approach to prioritization and product management. Previous experience to build a strong case around “what and why” we’re building Simple is required.
- At least 3 years leading operational focused product development, or in SaaS product development required.
- 3-4 years previous experience writing user stories, gathering requirements and working with agile methodologies is desired.
- Previous experience successfully working on third party integrations throughout the entire lifecycle (RFP, contract negotiation and implementation), including at least two third-party SaaS integrations (whether consuming or the solution provider) required.
- Experience working in or with Data Science teams to define and plan models for product solutions is a big plus.
- Demonstrated leadership working across teams and levels of responsibility, including managing executive leaderships, stakeholders and strategic partners. This position will grow into a Group Product Manager, based on performance and capability, taking over full accountability for the team’s vision and roadmap.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills, for your own time and for others’
- Empathy: The ability to communicate effectively and concisely in all mediums and all levels. Be recognized as an effective storyteller and presenter
- Curiosity: A passion for learning and growing your skills
- A positive, solution-minded attitude
What Else Can We Tell You?
We’re looking for candidates who are excited about both Simple and product management. Simple offers competitive salaries and great benefits. We’re a supportive, nurturing place to work, committed to improving our employees’ quality of life. We believe in your growth, encouraging and subsidizing conference participation and continuing education. Just like you, we’re passionate about our work, and can get pretty nerdy about it sometimes.
We know our industry has a diversity problem. By joining Simple, you’ll help us address this by supporting a diverse, inclusive workplace, and participating in industry initiatives to this end. Candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. If you’re on the fence about whether to apply or not, we say go for it!
Please include a cover letter telling us something awesome about you and the projects you’ve worked on, along with the best product management book you’ve ever read, regardless of claimed subject. (You like “The Design of Everyday Things?” So do we.) Applications without a cover letter won’t be considered.
We recognize the dire lack of diversity in our industry, and we’re not okay with it. We actively seek to address it with our hiring and retention processes, as well as our office culture. We want a great coworker — passion, humor, and desire to learn matter more to us than raw technical chops. If you’re on the fence about whether you’re a fit, we say go for it, and apply!
Why Simple’s a Great Place to Work:
- Based in Portland, Oregon– a beautiful place to live and work (or just see in the background if you work remotely).
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- A supportive and nurturing place to work. We actively consider how we can improve employees’ quality of life–both inside and outside the office.
- Committed to hiring quality human beings. Simple is a place where others will watch out for you and help you learn. We actually like and respect each other.
- We give a damn about what we do, both as individual contributors and as a company on a mission to change banking. We’re passionate and nerdy about our work; in fact we’re kind of that way about things outside of work, too.