Loom is on a mission to empower everyone at work to communicate more effectively, wherever they are. We are already trusted by over 4M users across 90k+ companies. Our customers are global and use Loom at work at world-class companies including HubSpot, Square, Uber, GrubHub, and LinkedIn.
Founded in 2016, Loom has raised $45 million from top-tier investors including Sequoia Capital, Kleiner Perkins, the Slack Fund, and the founders of Instagram, Figma, and Front.
Loom makes it simple to create HD video content and have it instantly available to share with anyone in the world. Because of this simplicity, multiple years’ worth of video content is created on Loom every week from people in almost every country around the world, and the usage has been rapidly increasing.
Loom’s Desktop application is our most powerful recording client offering and can record your screen and camera in 4k while simultaneously uploading the video files to our cloud infrastructure. While this is happening, the user is performing actions on their screen that are critical to delivering their message effectively. The Desktop UI must remain unintrusive and smooth without compromising the performance of the operating system. In this role, you will work on Loom’s Desktop application and the efficient use of machine resources and world-class stability will be at the core of every effort.
The Desktop application uses Electron with custom encoding binary layers written in Swift and C++ for macOS and Windows, respectively. The application interfaces with Loom’s infrastructure view REST endpoints and GraphQL. The infrastructure currently runs in the AWS ecosystem. We are using Docker, Node, React, and Webpack within our web services.
- Architect and build user interfaces that are quick, polished, and flexible enough to change if required with Electron and the latest Chromium APIs
- Work closely with our Core Video team to understand the intricacies of and help iterate on our custom video encoding layer
- You will document the new video infrastructure systems that you build and socialize those changes within the rest of the product organization
- You will own the products that you build and become the domain expert on those subjects within the organization.
- You will design tools and frameworks that empower the Desktop team to ship quickly and with confidence
- You will optimize the tools and features that you build to support the Windows and macOS operating systems equally
What We’re Looking For:
- Familiarity with Electron, Typescript, Webpack, and Mocha is a plus
- A good balance between quick decision making and knowing when to ask for input
- Experience working with product that has gone through multiple product and architecture evolutions
- Passion for developing on Windows and macOS
- Great design intuition and user empathy
- Passion for UI fluidity and performance
- A constant desire to improve, learn more and take things higher
Perks at Loom:
* Competitive compensation and equity package
* 99% company paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents (for US employees)
* Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
* Healthcare reimbursement (for International employees)
* Life insurance
* Long-term disability insurance
* 401(k) with 5% company matching
* Professional development reimbursement
* Mental health and wellness reimbursement
* Gym reimbursement
* Unlimited PTO
* Paid parental leave
* Remote work opportunities
* Yearly off-site retreats (this year was in Barbados)
SF office perks
* Daily lunch on-site
* Unlimited snacks & drinks
* Remote week every other month
* Home office & technology reimbursement
* Co-working space reimbursement
* New-Hire on-boarding in San Francisco (optional)
Loom = Equal Opportunity Employer:
We are actively seeking to create a diverse work environment because teams are stronger with different perspectives and experiences.
We value a diverse workplace and encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. All employees and contractors of Loom are responsible for maintaining a work culture free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with kindness and respect.