At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
The Role and the Team
Performance is important for us in Canva. We want to be the fastest graphical design tool in the world. The Performance team is set to achieve this mission. We are building a performance culture in Canva and to do that, we are looking for engineers with an interest in performance, how to debug and measure, and changing the way we work to allow fast performance by default.
We’d love to hear from you if you fit one or more of these:
You are a fan of solving performance issues and know how to debug and propose solutions ranging from a practical quick fix to a standardised change to roll out across the company. You understand the reasons behind why every performance metrics are different and how it relates to the user experience. You know how to measure performance from synthetic measurements to collecting real user performance metrics. You have experience in creating a system for automated performance testing and know how to effectively fit this into a developer’s workflow.
You will be exploring new ways to improve our engineering practices. Your work would be getting more useful insights to show how performance issues affect us, finding engineering best practices and communicating how to use it across the company, building tools to make sure the code we write are up to our performance standards, and being the performance evangelist in the company alongside the rest of the team.
- Working with performance profiling and debugging tools in your web browser of choice. These are tools such as Chrome DevTools, Lighthouse, WebPageTest, and others.
- Experimenting with technologies and architectural patterns that will improve the way we develop features to make fast performance a default.
- Harnessing the performance data we collect from real users or from synthetic monitoring applications to find areas where we can improve performance for the user experience.
- Building and maintaining tools we use to test performance in our builds, tools to give feedback on performance regressions in pull requests, and tools to measure real user performance metrics.
- Collaborating with the team and other engineers outside the team to find issues in the whole product and communicate clear action items. Empowering other engineers is one of our team’s core values.
- Knowledge on common performance issues: what bottlenecks the browser main thread, network requests, and anything related to rendering pixels to the screen in a browser.
- Experience developing rich applications with HTML/CSS/JS
- Intimate knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development
- Ability to write high-performance, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Minimum 5 years experience
- Computer science fundamentals
- Experience with SVGs
- Experience with graphics programming
- Experience with GLSL / WebGL
- Experience with Java
- An interest in interaction design
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Gym and yoga facilities onsite
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided and visa application fees covered
- Annual salary: $80,000 to $150,000 Plus Superannuation and Stock Options
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn’t just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We are looking for people who love technology and can bring creativity when solving challenging problems. We ensure that the Canva workspace is setup for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so. Do you know we have a chef, Song and Chris, that make fantastic lunches for the team? Follow them on Instagram here to see what has been whipped up today: https://www.instagram.com/canvalife/.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
- Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
- We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
- Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
- Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
- An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
- Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
- Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.