We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place.
The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
Over 45 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 85,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
The purpose of this position is to work closely with the Director of Calm Science to coordinate and manage the research activities and provide support to the Director and the Scientific Advisory Board to facilitate the achievement of Calm Science goals and objectives.
Calm is looking for an experienced Research Coordinator to manage research conducted using the Calm app. The Research Coordinator will be responsible for carrying out the day-to-day research activities for interventions (development, implementation, data collection) working directly with Dr. Huberty, the Scientific Advisory Board, and Calm team members.
This position requires substantial capacity to work effectively within a fast paced team. You must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, data skills, strong time management skills, and the ability to use good judgment in daily tasks. You will also need to implement approved study protocols with high fidelity to ensure that we meet study accrual, retention, and data quality targets.
Experience identifying, recruiting, and retaining patients in behavioral research is critical, as is experience working within a study team and interacting and working with diverse patient populations. Specific responsibilities will include working with clinical and community collaborators to identify potential research participants, completing screening and enrollment procedures, administering measurement protocols, ensuring participant retention, monitoring the well-being of research participants, reporting on accrual and retention, helping identify and solve problems to ensure study goals are met, helping prepare reports for study meetings and regulatory requirements, completing administrative tasks, and participating in writing manuscripts and grant applications.
- Coordinate research initiatives, which includes identifying, recruiting, and retaining patients in studies.
- Coordinate the development of study materials for institutional review board (IRB) approval, including study documents, procedural documents, participant materials, and recruitment materials.
- Work with the Director of Calm Science and the Scientific Advisory Board to develop, implement, and maintain comprehensive databases and files related to studies.
- Coordinate and manage Calm program outreach activities including acting as a liaison with community organizations.
- Collect and disseminate research study data for reporting findings and progress to the Director of Calm Science and the Scientific Advisory Board. Participate in the development of Calm research program through literature searches.
- Assist with manuscript/conference abstract preparation and submission.
- Assist with grant preparation and submission.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities (i.e., attend conferences, workshops, seminars, etc.).
- Candidates must have completed a Master’s degree with a PhD preferred in exercise science, psychology, social sciences, public health, or a related field (or equivalent experience).
- The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience conducting behavioral health research and demonstrate experience in grant and manuscript writing as part of a study team.
- Appropriate education and/or experience may be substituted on equivalent basis.
- Minimum Required Education: Master’s Degree
- Preferred Education: PhD
- Minimum Required Experience: 2 years working as part of a study team
- Preferred Experience: 5 years of experience as a part of a study team participating in research projects, manuscript writing, and grant developmentPreferred Certifications: CITI certification, Adult CPR/AED certification
NOTE: This is a contract role and ineligible for benefits.