Wikipedia is looking for an experienced and collaborative Product Manager to help build features that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
The Product Manager for the Community Tech team will lead a new initiative at the Wikimedia Foundation to improve the contribution experience for Wikipedia editors, creating support for a more diverse community and reducing disruptive behavior. Working closely with researchers, developers, community advocates and many passionate volunteers, the PM will drive development of new tools to help active Wikipedia editors to manage their community projects.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Work with community advocates and Wikimedia volunteers to gain insight and build support for new projects
- Define strategies for outreach, research, design and development for a complex set of interdependent features
- Work with a talented team of researchers and engineers to define, design, and build features
- Help organize and maintain project backlog, managing several concurrent projects at different stages of development
- Work and communicate effectively within a small team distributed across multiple time zones
We’d like you to have these skills:
- 3+ years Product Management experience in a consumer-facing web property
- Experience with wiki communities, or communities that build user-generated content
- Experience working in an agile software development environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for increasing participation on Wikipedia
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Experience with the Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons community
- Experience with open source software development
- Familiarity with Mediawiki
- BS in Computer Science or other technical field
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, massages, cooking classes and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location
About Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation receive more than 431 million unique visitors per month, making them the 5th most popular web property worldwide.
Available in more than 287 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 32 million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than 100,000 people.
Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants. The Wikimedia Foundation was created in 2003 to manage the operation of Wikipedia and its sister projects. It currently employs over 208 staff members. Wikimedia is supported by local chapter organizations in 40 countries or regions.
The Wikimedia Foundation offers competitive benefits including fully paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!). The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, massages, cooking classes, and much more. The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary.