Wikimedia is looking for an experienced and collaborative Product Manager to drive improvements to Wikipedia that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
Product Managers at Wikimedia work with engineers, designers, researchers and communities of users to build features, products and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is an opportunity to have a high level of positive impact, worldwide.
The Wikimedia Commons project is the world’s largest repository of freely licensed educational media. The Wikimedia Foundation has embarked on a project to partner with the Commons community to integrate machine-readable data into this project to make the content more accessible to the world. This role will initially focus on working with community and movement partners to develop user-facing tools for uploading and classifying media, as well as using the data to improve the multimedia search and browsing experiences. Upon completion, this individual will be responsible for how multimedia content is viewed on Wikipedia and Commons.
- 2+ years Product Management experience in a consumer-facing web property
- Experience with wiki communities, or communities that build user-generated content
- Experience working in an agile software development environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for increasing participation on Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- BS in Computer Science or other related technical field
- Experience with the Wikipedia, Wikimedia Commons, or Wikidata community
- Experience with open source software development
- Familiarity with the use and applications of linked data
- Familiarity with MediaWiki
- Experience building for mobile devices
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and several other Wikimedia free knowledge sites. Every month, the Wikimedia sites are accessed by more than a billion unique devices. Wikipedia consists of more than 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 70,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 240 staff members.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, massages, cooking classes and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location