The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Product Manager to join the Core Platform Team and drive the development of our next generation of APIs for both our internal teams and 3rd party developers.
As the Product Manager, you will build roadmaps and goals in collaboration with partners and ensure that progress is made towards those goals. You will work closely with members from many departments including Engineering, Communications, Legal, and Community Engagement. You will also be responsible for ensuring that communications about the team’s work and project status are shared with the Foundation’s various teams and the community in a timely manner.
Product Managers at Wikimedia work with engineers, designers, researchers and communities of users to build features, products and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is an opportunity to have a high level of positive impact, worldwide.
- Work with key partners across the Foundation to build and execute strategies and goals for the MediaWiki software.
- Build and track progress towards achievements for our long term road maps.
- Communicate goals, statuses, and findings throughout the development process to internal and external community partners.
- Identify blockers and other issues to senior management.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5+ years of Product Management experience
- Experience delivering developer focused products
- Experience with delivering APIs
- Experience working with teams of highly skilled engineers
- Experience with monolithic code bases and service oriented architectures
- Experience implementing and executing effective development processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Real passion for growing participation on Wikimedia projects
- Experience with open source software development
- Experience with the Wikipedia and Wikimedia community
- Experience with MediaWiki software and deployment
- Familiarity PHP and Node.js
- Experience delivering public documentation for 3rd party developers
- Experience with wiki communities, or communities that build user-generated content
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location