Are you passionate about privacy, and do you want to use that passion to impact the world’s largest platform for software development? GitHub is seeking a Privacy Program Manager to join its Corporate, External & Legal Affairs team. GitHub’s impact is global, and our role in the support of open source software and software collaboration is key to creativity, innovation, and success in software development. GitHub is experiencing a new wave of incredible growth and innovation on our platform, with many new offerings being shipped to improve developer productivity and open source success. GitHub is focused on building a best-in-class privacy program, meaning that we must constantly evolve and improve to meet the high demands of a changing privacy landscape. We are looking for a creative and passionate privacy professional to own the day-to-day execution of GitHub’s privacy program. As part of this role, the Privacy Program Manager will engage with stakeholders across GitHub to understand, document, and mitigate our privacy risks. Strong program management skills for organizing information, breaking down complex problems, driving cross-organizational consensus, and working effectively in situations involving uncertainty are must haves.
GitHub’s Corporate, External & Legal Affairs team is cutting edge. We use GitHub to work collaboratively, transparently, and efficiently with all other teams in the company. We believe strongly in working together and from first principles, in questioning tradition and basic industry assumptions, in being attuned to the unique GitHub culture that we are developing together, and in retaking and reforming our profession while delivering the highest quality of work product and counsel to our clients. We value diversity of thought and experience, deep intellectual engagement with one’s subject matter, intellectual curiosity, innovation, social awareness, and high emotional intelligence.
- Work with GitHub’s privacy counsel (who will supervise this role) and other teams across the company to become a trusted partner and facilitator of GitHub’s privacy goals
- Learn GitHub’s business operations and conduct privacy reviews to assess personal data processing risks and provide timely and actionable guidance to our stakeholders
- Build upon GitHub’s current privacy program to document risks and incidents, manage data inventories, provide guidance, and build a culture of privacy-respectful practices
- Be customer obsessed and data driven in making decisions and finding innovative ways to solve problems, and leverage new technologies and processes to achieve greater scale
- 4+ years of privacy program experience, including with internet or technology companies
- Experience conducting privacy reviews and implementing and maintaining privacy compliance policies, procedures, and programs
- Proven ability to work in an independent manner with minimal oversight, and to work across teams and partner well with people with diverse professional backgrounds
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated program ownership and consistent delivery against commitments, including strong organizational skills, follow-through and attention to detail
- Flexibility to manage and balance workloads that may vary and be unpredictable and processes that may be repetitious
- A degree in computer science, law, or similar
- In-house experience
- Deep understanding of technology and law
- CIPP/US, CIPP/E or CIPM privacy certificates
- Coding knowledge
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed – Trust by Default – Ship to Learn – Own the Outcome – Growth Mindset – Global Product, Global Team – Anything is Possible – Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.