The Buffer marketing team delights in helping people grow their businesses and advocating for a more humane workplace. We are a cohesive, dedicated, fun-loving bunch who are committed to driving awareness for the Buffer brand and acquiring customers for the Buffer product. We emphasize high-quality work, and we value respect, trust, and affirmation.
We’re looking for an empathetic marketing leader to help our teammates feel fulfilled in their work while also partnering on high-level, strategic initiatives. Sound interesting? Join us and take our team to the next level!
FULL-TIME · REMOTE
Buffer is an equal opportunity employer with teammates all around the world. Our team is made up of marketers who hail from Idaho to Singapore – we value diverse and non-traditional backgrounds.
We’re united by Buffer’s values, and we celebrate our unique differences. We value creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and are actively working on building a culture where under-indexed groups are truly welcomed and can flourish.
You will collaborate closely with the entire marketing team as well as functionally across Buffer. We value and reward respectful, empathetic discussion and collaboration when creating solutions. This position reports to the VP of Marketing.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Holding an essential leadership role within our marketing team. You’ll help take us to new heights with your experience and skill with people management, team-building, operations, and strategy.
- Supporting a team of 10 high-performing marketers who work across a wide range of channels. This may include:
- Having weekly 1:1s with up to eight marketing teammates.
- Syncing regularly with marketing collaborators from within design and engineering (dotted-line reporting).
- Showing care and attention for those who report to you by creating space for quarterly (at the least) career conversations.
- Providing each teammate with clear goals and deadline accountability.
- Helping build an even stronger, more cohesive marketing team. This may include:
- Suggesting ways to organize our team to achieve maximum impact, and implement a plan to make it happen.
- Identifying ways we could grow the team through hiring and which areas we could invest in. Collaborate on team-building decisions with the VP of Marketing.
- Owning the growth of teammates: coaching, improvement, and recognition. (You aren’t expected to be a domain expert in all domains. We do expect you to empower and support people to “grow themselves” and for you to guide them as needed).
- Motivating the team to make meaningful progress on goals in reasonable time.
- Fully managing team operations for the marketing team. This may include:
- Organizing quarterly area-wide reviews, both manager-led and 360° feedback, and communicating the plan to the team.
- Creating a cadence for stand-ups and syncs among our fully-distributed, worldwide team.
- Being the final decision maker on area-wide tools we all use.
- Organizing the annual marketing team on-site.
- Keeping a keen eye on budget. Finding areas of optimization and ways to make our dollars go further.
- Syncing regularly with other team leads to ensure smooth collaboration and context sharing.
- Working cross-functionally with other areas within Buffer to drive forward on new initiatives and remove friction for marketing team projects.
- Understanding the tactics of our campaigns and projects so you can support the team when called upon.
- Collaborating with the VP of Marketing on:
- Defining KPIs and measure success across team and department.
- Setting team vision and strategy.
- Identifying new growth ideas.
- As a teammate at Buffer, you will agree to uphold our values and code of conduct.
Helpful Skills and Experience
- Strong track record of people management experience.
- A management philosophy that you can clearly articulate.
- Strong communication, leadership, and project management skills.
- A deep understanding of marketing channels and channel-performance expectations.
- A track record of holding a team accountable to goals and aligned with company-wide strategic priorities, while allowing high levels of autonomy on the team.
- You have a growth mindset.
- You are organized, responsible, empathetic, kind, and trusting.
- Unsure if you meet all these requirements? Please apply anyway! We would love to hear from you.
What We Value
Clear communication, transparency, open-mindedness, empathy and patience are just a few of Buffer’s cultural values. We are looking for a person who understands this culture and will thrive within a team of people passionate about self-improvement, honesty and openness. Here’s a guide on how we strive to communicate with customers.
Working at Buffer is collaborative and positive thanks to our core values. We try to be “No Ego Doers” who are aware of our assumptions, and joining us means you’ll work together with the team in order to test and confirm our ideas. In our career framework, we choose to focus on the journey, the growth and evolution that is a career.
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you’re excited by the possibilities that come with working at Buffer! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits.
- Technology: Get hooked up with a laptop to do your best work.
- Learning & development stipend: To encourage our teammates to be their best selves, we offer a small stipend for any course or training they’d like to do.
- Health insurance: We offer health insurance for all of our team members, international or US based.
- Salary: Our salary formula adjusts to your cost of living and experience. For this role, the range is $113k – $157k USD per year.
- Work remotely: Live and work from wherever you feel happiest.
- Stock options: Joining the Buffer journey means you can choose to own part of the company.
- Unlimited time off: Our only policy is that you give yourself a break regularly.
- Retreats: Join us on annual international company retreats! Our last retreat was in Singapore.
- Free books (and Kindle): All you can read, no questions asked.
- Family Leave: If your family grows during your time at Buffer, we recommend taking 3 months of family leave, regardless of when you joined.
Where You’ll Work
Buffer is a fully distributed team, which means that we’re spread across the planet. We have Bufferoos in 15 countries, 11 timezones and 42 cities around the world to build a great culture and product. You’ll work where you’re happiest and most productive, in the place that helps you to become the person you wish to be.
Here’s our tentative transparent hiring timeline:
- Now – Feb 15, 2019:Apply to join the team!
- Feb 18 – Feb 22:We’ll spend time reviewing applications.
- Feb 25 – Mar 15:Follow-up interviews with the team.