Mattermost provides an open source enterprise-grade messaging platform to the world’s leading organizations that allows teams to collaborate securely and privately anywhere. With over 10,000 server downloads / month our customers include Intel, Samsung, Affirm, The US Department of Defense and more. Our private cloud solutions offer secure, configurable, highly-scalable messaging across web, phone and PC with archiving, search, and deep integrations with hundreds of SaaS and on-premises technologies. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, our company serves customers around the world with a distributed organization spanning the globe.
We value high impact work, ownership, self-awareness and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you’ll learn more about working at Mattermost and apply!
We are looking for an engineer to lead our Site Reliability Engineering team for Mattermost’s new SaaS offering. You have a strong blend of software development, infrastructure and networking skills with a keen sense for leadership. Leading a team ensuring high reliability of user-facing production services is an area you have lots of experience in. You can keep cool under pressure and lead your team in the development of systems and processes to allow for the effective resolution of incidents.
- Lead a team of engineers focused on maintaining high reliability of Mattermost’s SaaS offering
- Build services and tools to ensure the stability of production services
- Set technical vision and innovate to be on the forefront of self-healing SaaS services
- Help drive efforts for compliance certifications in our SaaS (SOC2, GDPR, FedRamp, etc.)
- Define infrastructure as code with Terraform and other tools
- Write thoughtful and high-quality code in Go
- Develop services to handle automatic recovery from incidents and disasters
- Automate incident or disaster simulations to identify blindspots
- Lead hiring for your team
- Execute our performance management process to ensure a high level of performance within the team
- Work with other Leads to follow our engineering best practices, and ensure alignment with our Leadership Principles
- Implement, maintain and tune monitoring and alerting systems
- Deploy applications to and manage Kubernetes clusters
- Respond on-call to incidents with quick and effective resolutions
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related fields, or significant professional DevOps or SRE experience
- Experience with SRE and DevOps methodologies
- Strong experience running reliable, high scale applications with Kubernetes in production
- Strong knowledge of container systems such as Kubernetes & Docker
- Experience defining and leading on-call rotations for highly available SaaS services
- Previous experience achieving compliance certifications, audits, and remediation for a public SaaS. Examples include one or more of: SOC2, PCI, HIPPA, GDPR, FedRamp
- Solid programming skills and experience with or an ability to quickly become proficient in Go
- Experience working with infrastructure as code tools, such as Terraform
- Ability and willingness to be on-call
- Experience with distributed application systems using HTTP, WebSockets, RPC, pub/sub, etc. at scale
- Open source contributions to related projects
- Knowledge of Grafana and Prometheus
- Comfortable with GitHub, Jira, Jenkins, CircleCI
- Experience working in open source communities
Mattermost is a remote-first company with staff living and working across the globe. We are currently hiring staff in these countries/regions:
Belarus – Canada – Finland – Georgia – Germany – India – Mauritius – Philippines – Poland – South Africa – Turkey – Ukraine – United Kingdom – United States
We are constantly working towards adding more countries/regions to this list, but first we need to make sure we are compliant with local laws and regulations, which takes time.
If you would be living and working from a location not listed above, we encourage you to continue to apply so we can be in touch when we are able to hire in your country/region, and we recommend that you frequently check our openings as this list will be updated regularly. In the meantime, you can become a Mattermost Contributor anytime, we would love to see you there!
Mattermost is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against staff or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!