Mattermost, one of Y Combinator’s top 100 companies, provides an open source enterprise-grade messaging platform to the world’s leading organizations that allows teams to collaborate securely and privately anywhere. With over 10,000 server downloads / month our customers include Uber, Samsung, Affirm, The US Department of Defense and more. Our private cloud solutions offer secure, configurable, highly-scalable messaging across web, phone and PC with archiving, search, and deep integrations with hundreds of SaaS and on-premises technologies. Headquartered in Palo Alto, California, our company serves customers around the world with a distributed organization spanning the globe.
We value high impact work, ownership, self-awareness and being focused on customer success. If these values match who you are, we hope you’ll learn more about working at Mattermost and come talk to us!
About the Role
Working in open source means your work is publicly visible. Your code will receive both credit and constructive critique from the community. With the right mindset and support these can lead to you a highly positive working environment and making the best engineering decisions of your career. Core committers include highly skilled volunteer developers from the community, staff employed by enterprises deploying and investing in Mattermost, as well as staff employed by Mattermost, Inc.
Read about our end-to-end recruiting process for core committers at:https://docs.mattermost.com/process/developer.html
We are looking for a lead engineer to drive a team solving performance issues in a large code base spanning multiple problem domains, programming languages, and platforms. You know when to delegate and when to get into the code yourself. You have a strong track record as a full stack developer and a keen sense of common performance concerns, solutions and their associated tradeoffs. Speaking and writing about complex technical issues comes naturally to you, helping your team and the rest of the R&D organization stay on top of performance concerns.
- Lead a team of engineers focused on investigating and fixing performance issues throughout the Mattermost product across front end and back end codebases.
- Write thoughtful and high quality code in React and Go.
- Profile and tune database queries in MySQL and Postgres
- Measure and improve resource usage within the Mattermost server
- Collect browser and mobile performance traces and drive recommended changes
- Develop custom tooling to enable load testing for both on-premise and cloud installations
- Provide design and code reviews with an eye towards performance concerns
- Drive architectural changes to enable larger and faster Mattermost installations
- Interface with customers to debug performance issues and provide tuning assistance
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related fields, or significant professional software development experience
- Proven experience as a lead engineer or in a similar role
- Strong experience with or an ability to quickly become an expert in Go and React
- Strong demonstrable experience investigating and solving performance issues in complex full stack codebases
- Familiarity with relational databases, particularly MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Experience in writing high performance production quality code.
- Experience with distributed application systems using HTTP, WebSockets, RPC, pub/sub at scale
- Knowledge of Grafana and Prometheus
- Comfortable with GitHub, Jira, Jenkins, CircleCI
- Experience working in open source communities
We’re looking for someone who wants to help us build the future of Mattermost and improve the way the world communicates. The right person in this role has the opportunity to have a huge impact on Mattermost the product, and its many users worldwide, but also on our open source community that has been key to Mattermost’s success. If this sounds like you – please apply!