Avaaz is winning major victories to bring about a better world and this role on the Operations team is crucial to powering that success. Operations Officers play a key role in the Operations Department, which supports all aspects of Avaaz’s global activities.
You will focus primarily on day-to-day human resources management, and you will also engage with finance, legal, and other administrative functions of Avaaz as needed. Avaaz engages team members all over the world, and this position calls for an operations professional with killer attention to detail, loads of enthusiasm for maintaining healthy organisational systems, and an ability to engage with both the minute and broad aspects of personnel management.
You will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer or a Senior Operations Officer, and work with the whole Operations Team, which also includes Operations Officers, Operations Associates, Executive and Personal Assistants, and an outside team of financial controllers.
- Oversight of a team member’s full life cycle, including staff orientation, contracts and renewals, leaves of absence, benefits, salary reviews, and team exits.
- Help develop Avaaz’s human resources administration, enhancing staff development, benefits, performance evaluation, training, and recruiting processes.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date personnel files and organizational inventory, including equipment and other assets.
- Conduct research on new initiatives, tracking systems, and best practices; present clearly organised findings and recommendations on implementing these practices within the organisation as requested.
- Point responsibility of payroll processing with an eye for optimisation and improvement.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a benefits communication and education system, with a plant to assist with employee understanding and appreciation of teamwide benefits.
- Other Operations functions as needed.
- Human Resources and/or Operations experience, preferably in the non-profit sector.
- Strong computer skills.
- Good strategic, creative, and innovative thinking.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Sensitivity, emotional maturity, and strong interpersonal skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work across a diverse team.
- Passion and commitment to global justice, citizen empowerment, and social change.
- High professionalism, self-motivation, efficiency, and results-oriented delivery on short timelines.
- Strong teamwork skills, comfortable in a highly collaborative team culture and a hierarchical team structure.
- Strong project and staff management skills.
- Ability to adjust quickly to changing conditions and requirements.
Fluency in English is a requirement. Additional languages are an asset.
Avaaz is a virtual organization, with most of our work done over email, telephone, and Skype. Our staff are based in cities all over the world and meet at team retreats twice per year. Avaaz covers office costs, either to establish a home office or to rent one, and we support staff to house themselves in local similar organizations when preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary varies with location and experience but is highly competitive with leading nongovernmental organizations. Benefits also range with location, but include 5 weeks paid vacation per year.