This position is remote based.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project, helping developers collaborate on code to build great things and ship on time. We are an active participant in our global community of customers and contributors, trying to serve their needs and lead by example.
We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write. We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
At GitLab, developers are independent and self-organized individual contributors who work together as a tight team in a remote and agile way.
Developers at GitLab work on our product. This includes both the open source version of GitLab, the enterprise editions, and the GitLab.com service as well. They work with peers on teams dedicated to areas of the product. They work together with product managers, designers, and backend or frontend developers to solve common goals.
- Develop new features in collaboration with our product management, UX, and frontend teams.
- Keep changes small and iterate towards the best solution.
- Communicate asynchronously with fellow GitLabbers, and the rest of the community, in a transparent way.
- Work with our production, security, and support teams to keep GitLab robust.
- Take initiative in improving the software in small or large ways to address pain points in your own experience as a developer.
- Keep code easy to maintain and keep it easy for others to contribute code to GitLab.
- Qualify developers for hiring.
- You have worked on a production-level Ruby application, preferably using Rails (this is a strict requirement).
- Proficiency with SQL, beyond abstractions offered by ORMs such as Active Record.
- Experience with other technologies a plus.
- You can reason about software, algorithms, and performance from a high level.
- You are passionate about open source.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and have strong organizational skills.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.