Bustle is seeking a part-time, remote, Overnight General News Writer to help fill various verticals with intelligent, thoughtful, and fast articles. Applicants should be well-versed in news and politics reporting, but also have a strong interest in entertainment and lifestyle topics. Day-to-day responsibilities include breaking news, informative roundups, and identifying social media trends. Applicants should have daily website/blogging experience, a strong voice, and be able to rapidly switch gears between news, entertainment and lifestyle coverage. That could mean writing a story about how a piece of legislation impacts women followed by another about Kylie Jenner’s latest Instagram post. Diverse voices and applicants with a spectrum of experience are encouraged to apply.
Topics of news coverage will include politics, women’s issues, national news, global news, health, science, crime, and more. In addition, entertainment coverage will include pop culture, TV, music, film, and/or celebrity news. Topics that fall under lifestyle coverage involve viral trends, food, tech, identity, and mental health.
Candidates should be able to work between two and four CONSECUTIVE shifts at the following times (EST):
Sunday 7 p.m. – 2 a.m.
Monday 7 p.m. – 2 a.m.
Tuesday 7 p.m. – 2 a.m.
Wednesday 7 p.m. – 2 a.m.
Thursday 7 p.m. – 2 a.m.
- Cover breaking news in real-time and write assigned stories at a breakneck speed
- Juggle multiple articles at a time, with the ability to switch between politics, lifestyle, entertainment, and trending content at the drop of a hat
- Synthesize information in a way that is easily accessible and relevant to our audience
- Master search engine optimization and apply these skills to own pieces
- Be a team player, listen to direction, and pitch in where needed
- Follow Bustle style and turn in crystal-clear, conversational copy
- Monitor social media and identify fresh, viral angles on top news and entertainment stories
- Comfortable incorporating photos, videos, tweets, and memes naturally into news stories
- Be able to write in a conversational tone while remaining both informative and accurate
- Ability to write clearly and accurately
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Pitch-perfect news judgement
- A strong voice and innovative ideas
- 2+ years reporting/blogging/writing experience
- Eagerness to work at a speed competitive with other outlets
- Degree in journalism, communications, political science, or related
- Comfortable covering a wide range of topics
Bustle Digital Group is the largest premium publisher reaching millennial women. Every month, nearly 80 million readers turn to Bustle Digital Group publications — Bustle, Romper, Elite Daily, and The Zoe Report — for impactful conversation around the interests and issues engaging women today. Focusing on everything from pop culture to parenthood, Bustle Digital Group’s content leverages the power of a diverse set of voices from coast to coast. Bustle Digital Group does business with over 300 global brands, and ranks among the most popular media companies with our demographic on social media. Bustle Digital Group was founded in 2013 and is headquartered in New York City, with offices in Los Angeles and London.