Founded in 2012, Student Loan Hero is on a mission to help 44 million people manage and repay over $1.4 trillion in student loan debt.
Student Loan Hero combines financial education with easy-to-use tools, unbiased personalized advice and repayment plans to help student loan borrowers become financially healthy.
What does the Email Marketing Specialist do?
There are over 44 million Americans living with student loan debt. As the Email Marketing Specialist you’ll be responsible for creating, implementing, and optimizing our email marketing strategy in order to help us find new leads, activate and retain existing subscribers, and provide help to readers through relevant and strong email content. You’ll be reporting directly to the Email Marketing Manager.
Your core responsibilities will include creating and sending weekly and monthly broadcast emails, launching new email automations/drip campaigns, and running opt-in marketing tests to increase email sign-ups and conversions. Secondary responsibilities include analyzing and making data-based decisions.
A successful candidate for this role will have experience in email marketing, including: setting up emails in an email service provider, sending email broadcasts and campaigns, creating basic HTML emails and templates, writing email copy, running A/B tests, and helping configure email opt-in tools.
- Research and identify student loan and financial content to feature in weekly, monthly, and other broadcast emails.
- Write marketing copy in weekly, monthly, and other broadcast emails.
- Setup, configure, test, and launch broadcast emails and drip/automation campaigns within email system.
- Ensure emails are functioning as intended, and email system is working as intended.
- Write marketing copy for site-wide email opt-in units.
- Setup, configure, test, and launch opt-in units site-wide to get more email subscribers.
- Launch regular A/B tests for broadcast/campaign emails and email opt-ins to increase email subscribers, click-throughs, and revenue from email.
- Use statistical analysis and reports to track, measure, and analyze email marketing broadcast and campaign effectiveness (and make adjustments as necessary).
- Work cross-functionally with Editorial/Content, Development, Design, Product, and other teams as needed.
- Brainstorm new email marketing ideas, campaigns, approaches, and tests with the Email Marketing Manager.
- Develop email marketing personalization and segmentation strategy with the Email Marketing Manager.
What’s it like to work on the Student Loan Hero team?
Student Loan Hero is a fully remote team. We have team members all over the world, in cities including NYC, Austin, Portland, Santiago, and St. Petersburg.
Since we’re literally all over the map, communication using Slack, Gmail, Google Hangouts, and other tools is key for us. Don’t worry—you won’t be alone. We communicate regularly throughout the day.
In our small group, each team member uses highly specialized skills while working on a variety of projects. We enjoy giving our team members autonomy to do the work that interests them. We’re focused on the output of each team member, not putting in long hours.
We’re always open to new ways to create better content and make Student Loan Hero better for student loan borrowers, and we want to hear new ideas from you. A large part of our culture and values is transparency. We believe that team members should collaborate and communicate, not compete or engage in office politics.
At the same time, we like to make work as much fun as possible. We want everyone on our team to grow both personally and professionally, which is why we offer wellness and educational bonuses, as well as several other great perks.
Above all, we’re each proud to work on solving meaningful problems and to impact lives every day. Whether it’s authoring a blog post read by thousands of borrowers or answering a one-on-one customer support question, we value that working for Student Loan Hero makes a positive impact.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business, technology, or related discipline is preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience with a demonstrated track record of accomplishments in marketing and/or email marketing within high-growth companies.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to write persuasive, on-brand marketing copy within the personal finance and/or student loan market.
- Ability to analyze marketing data and trends.
- Ability to work cross-functionality with team members in Paid Marketing, Outreach Marketing, Content Marketing, and more.
- Ability to work directly in a team, including an Email Marketing Manager as a supervisor.
- Ability to work in a remote position (experience with a fully remote company preferred).
- Proficiency with a wide range of email marketing tools required, with examples below:
- Email marketing (Campaign Monitor, Mixpanel, and Mailgun)
- Opt-in tools (Thrive Leads)
- Data tools (Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets)
- Data analytics (Google Analytics, Heap, and Mixpanel)
- Must be willing to travel up to 1 week per quarter.
- Competitive salary: Based on experience and location.
- Equity: We’ll give you vested shares in the company.
- Vacation: Unlimited.
- Flexible hours: Work when you’re most productive.
- Work remotely: Work from wherever you want in the world. (Costa Rica, anyone?)
- New equipment: We’ll hook you up with a brand new MacBook Pro, and a $1,000 technology stipend to purchase a desk or whatever helps you work.
- Remote workspace: We’ll pay up to $500/month for a remote office space (e.g., co-working space).
- Wellness: We cover 100% of premiums for employees and dependents on a silver-level health insurance plan, plus you get up to $150/month for gym, fitness classes, nutrition counseling, weight loss programs, nutritious food delivery service, acupuncture, massages, workout equipment, or race registrations.
- Continuing education: Up to $100/month for courses, books, or anything you’d like to learn!
- Financial contribution: Receive a 100% match of up to 3% of annual salary to a retirement account, as well as a 100% match of up to $2,000 toward student loan repayment assistance.