At Elastic, we have a simple goal: to solve the world’s data problems with products that delight and inspire. As the company behind the popular open source projects — Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Beats — we help people around the world do great things with their data. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, our products are extending what’s possible with data, delivering on the promise that good things come from connecting the dots. We unite Elasticians across 30+ countries (and counting!), 18 timezones and 30 different languages into one coherent team, while the broader community spans across over 100 countries.
We are on the lookout for a Director of Competitive Intelligence. This individual will create and continually refine a competitive strategy for our products and how we take them to market. Based on the variety of use cases our technology enables, Elastic competes in a diverse and ever-changing space. This individual will ensure our Field teams remain informed and armed with the information they need to be successful in the market while also being active in our community and in front of prospects/customers. If you have experience building out competitive strategy for companies in the search, logging, analytics, security, or APM space and you are at your best when you are in front of customers, we’d love to hear from you!
What You Will Do:
You will craft an ongoing competitive program at Elastic and maintain the structure of how to track the various efforts within the program over time. You will collaborate with various internal partners to build external strategies for competitive messaging, including competitive replacement customer stories, technical blogs, battle-cards, etc.
In Addition, You Will:
- Coordinate all competitive research and enablement efforts
- Actively track market trends and internal developments to effectively prioritize how we will respond
- Build in-depth market analyses and hands-on product research vital to keeping our collateral up-to-date
- Participate in meaningful industry events to stay current
- Craft relevant and effective competitive messaging and collateral
- Ideate with sales, product, and engineering teams
- Lead internal competitive enablement sessions
- Build subject-matter expertise and credibility necessary to independently assist the sales force on competitive calls
- Summarize key pain points related to competitive conversations and communicate to the relevant parts of the organization, including engineering
Who You Are:
You are in a competitive-focused role now. You prefer to remain hands-on and technical, yet want the ability to effectively communicate about our technology and opportunities to be in front of diverse audiences. You have ample competitive materials that you authored to show us, too!
In Addition, You Have:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field (e.g. CS, CSE, EE), relevant work experience, or the ability to be hands-on with our products (maybe you’re self-taught)
- Direct experience with products and technologies used in search, analytics and big data space and audiences that use those products (developers, IT operations, data science, business analytics)
- Natural affinity toward uncovering how something works and using your knowledge for higher-level strategic goals
- Excellent organization and attention-to-detail
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Experience organizing and coordinating efforts and programs across large teams
- Experience generating competitive positioning, messaging, and collateral
- Experience dealing with performance benchmarks, feature, and price comparisons
- Experience delivering enablement sessions
- Hands-on experience across different types of solutions, from various data stores to analytics UIs
- Comfort working with a highly distributed team
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Stock options
- Global minimum of 16 weeks of paid parental leave (moms & dads)
- Generous vacation time and one week of volunteer time off
- An environment in which you can balance great work with a great life
- Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
- Distributed-first company with Elasticians in over 30 countries, spread across 18 time zones, and speaking over 30 languages!
Please note some target locations are highlighted below, but all distributed locations in the US or Europe will be considered. This is a work remotely job from your home or local co-working space, unless you live by one of our offices and choose to work from there.
Target locations: San Francisco, CA; London, UK; New York, NY; Austin, TX; Denver, CO; Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.