Flexible location, with some preference for European & African timezones
At 350.org, we believe in a safe climate and a better future — a just, prosperous, and equitable world built with the power of ordinary people. Said another way: We’re aiming to make the kind of change the world needs, not what’s been deemed “politically feasible” by governments. We pick unrealistic fights, and then win them.
We’re looking for a driven, creative, flexible, and solutions-oriented Digital Director to manage the organization’s digital department and be a part of 350’s core global decisionmaking for the future.
We’re looking for someone who wants to help build the climate movement’s next-big-thing — someone who understands climate politics, but is not bound by conventional political thinking; someone who is comfortable analyzing conversion rates, but believes that data should be in service to strategy; someone adept at both managing a narrative arc and structuring a global team for maximum success.
We’re looking for someone who is 100% committed to building a better world as fast as we possibly can, and has the talent and heart to deliver.
Is that you?
About the Job
The Digital Director will manage the team responsible for 350.org’s digital campaigns and infrastructure, including web development, e-mail program, social media, and multimedia. They will also be responsible for high-level decisions regarding the health, strategy and structure of the the team and organization.
The ideal candidate will be a sharp digital strategist, a superb communicator, an experienced manager of people, and a creative problem-solver.
The Digital Director will:
- Lead a global team of online organizers in diverse public campaigns that mobilize thousands of people to stand up to stop climate change.
- Craft digital strategy for global and regional projects that enable our campaigns to win and to bring in new supporters;
- Effectively manage and structure the digital team to be as effective as possible, as well as select senior staff and contractors as appropriate. Oversee staff development on the digital team, pushing for team members to become stronger movement leaders
- Bring 350’s global digital systems in line with established best practices in terms of testing, data analysis, list health management, audience listening/monitoring and online fundraising.
- Oversee 350.org’s ecosystem of web platforms and tools, while creating a culture of innovation that encourages use of cutting edge digital tools and apps;
- Oversee digital security systems to ensure 350’s organization-wide data remains protected from malicious actors;
- Engage with the public and partner organizations on behalf of 350.org in the space of technology and online organizing.
The Digital Director will hold a senior leadership position, helping to set organizational strategy, and represented in senior-level decision-making. They will report to the Executive Director.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Ten or more years of experience in the field of digital campaigning and organizing.
- Strategic campaign development expertise and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Talented manager of people and projects in a fast-moving, highly collaborative environment.
- A systems thinker with a flair for organisational development
- Adept at working cross-culturally and significant experience working internationally or in multiple countries.
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Executive level experience at an international NGO, ideally managing a department or a large team.
- Experience at the intersection of online and offline organizing, mobilization, and direct action.
- Experience using some (or all) of the online platforms employed by the digital team, including but not limited to Action Kit, Action Network, WordPress, and Control Shift Labs.
Position Type: Full-time
Application Deadline: This position is open until filled
Start Date: Flexible, this is a rolling process, and we’ll begin this role once hired for.
Compensation: Competitive compensation based on experience
Location: Flexible, but some preference for European & African timezones. Must have strong internet connection and be willing to coordinate with teammates across a range of timezones. We strongly encourage applicants from the global South to apply.
350.org wants to be an inclusive and collaborative group of people who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We’re committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a workplace where everyone’s treated fairly and enjoys working together. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out its work – including what we decide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to women, people of of any ethnic background, people of any age, Indigenous people, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex, queer people, disabled people, and other under-represented communities in our kind of organisations – including communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.