At Medium, words matter. We are building the best place for reading and writing on the internet—a place where today’s smartest writers, thinkers, experts, and storytellers can share big, interesting ideas; a place where ideas are judged on the value they provide to readers, not the fleeting attention they can attract for advertisers.
Every day, hundreds of writers and experts come to Medium to share their ideas and expertise on design. We’re looking for an editor with specialized knowledge of subjects like UX, product design, graphic design, and how visual and experiential design affects the people who engage with it. These topics are read by experienced professionals who want to learn more, be on top of the best design practices, be better at their jobs, and be more desirable to employers.
The ideal candidate for this position can discern fresh and innovative design ideas from outdated or rehashed ones. They know the industry and its trends inside and out, and are familiar with key players and concepts, as well as up-and-comers and emerging ideas. They can be relied on to ensure Medium is contributing to the day’s conversation—or starting new ones—in a way that our subscribers find informative and valuable.
This editor knows great writing when they see it, but they also have a knack for making things better. They love to read and have a sixth sense for what other people want to read; they have a critical eye and can deliver constructive editorial feedback that takes a piece from good to great. They should also be obsessed with details.
This editor has an eye for quality, is a skillful communicator, and displays excellent editorial judgment.
What will you do?
- Scour our network daily for excellent self-published writing on design that deserves a wider audience
- Edit essays, explainers, how-to’s, and other writing on product and graphic design, UX, and related fields
- Establish and deepen relationships with writers and experts publishing independently on Medium
- Ensure that Medium’s design coverage is relevant and informative
- Build a network of on-platform experts and writers
- Provide feedback and direction to our curation team as it pertains to design
- Bring good ideas to work every single day
Who are you?
- You have a minimum of 3-5 years of editing experience in journalism and/or online media
- You can work quickly and juggle many stories, relationships and tasks at one time
- You have substantial experience in the topics of UX, product and graphic design, and related fields
- You intuitively understand what makes a high-quality Medium post about these topics and what doesn’t
- You have a reputation for establishing productive relationships with writers of different backgrounds
- You care about words and can deliver well-edited stories on a deadline
- You are curious and display excellent taste and judgment
- You are a display-copy whiz who understands the importance of framing a story for maximum reader engagement
- You are a straightforward and effective communicator
- You like working on a team and can help improve other people’s ideas through collaboration and brainstorming
- You believe that good stories can come from anywhere
At Medium, we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun yet challenging team environment. We value having a team that is made up of a diverse set of backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of diverse opinions. We embrace experimentation and the examination of all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we continue to change the world of digital media. Medium is an equal opportunity employer.
This is a contract position. Location flexible. Interested? We’d love to hear from you.