Reports To: Director of Technology
Location: Remote; all applicants are welcome
Salary Range: The salary range for the role of Data Analyst is $70K – $110K for candidates based in SF, NYC or DC. The salary range will be adjusted based on cost of living data for folks who live in less expensive regions. Here’s why: we feel strongly that progressive organizations should optimize for a consistent standard of living for all employees.
NOTE: For this role both salary and title will be commensurate with experience.
Turnout2020 is a nonprofit organization founded by a small team of elections and technology experts (including the founders of Vote.org and Vote.gov), who have come together to combat the chaos of the 2020 election cycle by helping to to drive record-shattering voter turnout. We will accomplish this via hyper-aggressive and targeted outreach to the millions of low and no-propensity voters who are generally neglected by partisan groups. This isn’t just empty rhetoric: collectively we’ve registered about 20 million voters and run GOTV to tens of millions more in our past roles. Now we’re scaling up.
What we’re looking for:
Turnout2020 is seeking an individual that is passionate about using data science, statistics, and technology to promote civic engagement and social change for the better. This individual should have a proven track record of working successfully analyzing data with academic faculty, statisticians, and program leaders.
Working primarily with our academic consultant, CEO, and program leaders, your work will play a critical role in shaping Turnout2020 strategy and programs. We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the “required qualifications.”
Here’s what you’ll be working on:
- Assist in the designand implementation of experiments designed to measure the impact of communication about voter registration, voter turnout, and similar issues.
- Analyze experiments using statistical methods like linear and logistic regression.
- Manage and clean quantitative data using R, Stata and/or SQL
- Manage the production and dissemination of reports, memos, explainer documents, and the like, in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Lead data presentation development and must be comfortable developing data visualizations and contextualizing these into memos and presentations.
- Work with academics, vendors, and partner organizations to facilitate implementation of core programs.
You should meet 2-3 of following minimum requirements:
- Experience in a data-centric position in a fast paced, deadline driven professional environment, especially in politics and/or advocacy organizations.
- Experience managing with large quantitative datasets, especially voter files, organizational member-contributor data, other political data, or similar commercial datasets
- Experience using SQL, Python or similar tools for data management
- Training in statistical methods like linear regression, logistic regression, and other approaches to modeling of causal effects
- Familiar with principles of causal inference using experimental designs
- Fluency in Stata and/or R
Bonus points if you have:
- One or more cycles/years experience working on voter registration, voter mobilization, or other voter contact programs
- Experience designing, running and/or analyzing large-scale field experiments
- Experience with heterogeneity analyses or meta-analyses of experimental results
- Experience with Civis Platform
- Experience with TargetSmart and/or Catalist datasets and tools
- Familiarity with utilizing relational databases with SQL for analytic workflow
- Familiarity with accessing storage buckets like Amazon S3
- Experience building reports and dashboards with Tableau, Periscope, or similar
How to apply:
You’ll need a resume and the ability to answer a handful of short questions. We don’t require a cover letter, because you don’t want to write one and we don’t want to read them.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis, and we will accept applications until the role is filled. We are, however, looking to fill this role ASAP, so you should apply as soon as you can.
Turnout2020 is an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don’t discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation.
We cannot provide sponsorship for those requiring visas or work permits.