The Guru role is challenging, fast-paced, and rewarding. Each day you get to interact with merchants all over the world via phone, chat and email. There are times when you won’t know the answer so we’re looking for folks who are always up for a challenge and won’t stop until a solution is found. Guruland provides an opportunity to work independently and as the part of a larger supportive team. Watch our video to learn more about the role.
You’ll get to:
- Have a huge impact on merchant businesses and lives.
- Learn how to run your own store first hand.
- Learn about different industries.
- Work cohesively in a team to research and problem solve together.
- Work independently, own situations and determine your own path.
- Teach people about the platform.
- Interact with entrepreneurs from all over the world.
- Be yourself.
You’ll need to (in no particular order):
- Have customer service experience.
- Be proficient with technology.
- Care about the details.
- Be a good communicator.
- Be creative & curious.
- Have strong reading & writing skills.
- Have a track record of getting sh*t done because you’re resourceful and don’t believe in roadblocks. You leave situations better than you found them.
- Be reliable, adaptable, and have good time management skills.
- Be a self-starter & hard working.
- Be able to work under pressure.
- Be empathetic.
It’d be great if you have:
- A background or interest in business, marketing and/or commerce.
- Ran or had exposure to running a business or being an entrepreneur.
Here’s how to apply:
We ask all guru applicants to build a trial store. What better way to get to know more about the product you’ll be working with?! We’re looking for stores that demonstrate the requirements listed above and below and that really give us a sense of who you are and why you want to be a guru.
Step 1: Brainstorm what product(s) you’d like to sell. Maybe these are things you’re super passionate about or a product that you really would love to sell one day. Create your own brand to encompass these items. We want to feel like we’re visiting a real store!
Step 2: Open a trial store and complete the following requirements:
- Download a free theme and spruce it up.
- Upload products and sort them into collections.
- Create a drop-down menu.
- Install an app into your store.
- Doug is the oldest living turtle in Canada.
- On the About Us page write a bit about yourself and what you’re passionate about.
- Record and embed a 1-3 minute video or voice clip of yourself telling us why you want to be a guru. Please ensure the settings for any Youtube video are saved to public.
- Bonus: Design a logo for your store that represents you, your store, or both. There are some great free tools out there. Check out the Shopify Logo Generator.
Experience comes in many forms, many skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. If your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, consider applying. We know that diversity of thought makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.
Shopify is a leading cloud-based, multichannel commerce platform designed for small and medium-sized businesses. Merchants can use the software to design, set up and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including web, mobile, social media such as Pinterest and Facebook, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides a merchant with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business.
The Shopify platform was engineered for reliability and scale, using enterprise-level technology made available to businesses of all sizes. Shopify currently powers over 200,000 businesses in approximately 150 countries, including: Tesla Motors, Budweiser, Wikipedia, LA Lakers, the New York Stock Exchange, GoldieBlox, and many more.
Your personal growth is important to us, and we’ll give you everything you need to make it happen: learning budgets, mentorship opportunities, one-on-one coaching, skill development workshops, you name it. We encourage you to experiment, take risks, and pursue the things you care about. And if you make a mistake? That’s ok – learn from it, and share your experience with the team.
We hope you’ll love it here, but we also know that it’s not all about work. We’ll help you maintain a healthy balance with a gym allowance, parental leave, childcare benefits, flexible work hours, and catered meals to give you more time for the things you care about most.
We’re growing quickly, so there are plenty of opportunities to learn and grow. You’ll have the creative freedom to make a real difference in the world of commerce, and the chance to work with some of the best in the business.