Salary: $110,000 – $160,000
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get public answers to their questions, work more efficiently with their team, or find a new job, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. We’re looking for a Technical Project Manager join our team, helping design and our implement information security program.
Stack Overflow Q&A has over 17 million question and answer pairs, sees 50 million unique visitors a month, and has been visited over 12 billion times in the past decade. Recently, Stack Overflow has launched private communities to thousands of companies who store their private, proprietary data in many different environments. You’ll be working on delivering large projects across multiple product teams that support SRE priorities and processes.
You’ll have the opportunity to do a lot. You can expect during your first year:
- First Month: Get onboarded and brought up to speed on our current plans. You’ll spend a lot of time learning about our products, building rapport with the product, engineering, marketing, and community teams, and contributing to small features.
- Next 3 Months: Acquire a deep understanding of our product development processes and begin improving how our SRE team organizes and manages projects and tasks.
- Next 8 Months: You can expect to have a leadership role in developing the long term roadmap, working alongside the SRE Manager. You’ll be involved in defining long term SRE strategy, managing vendor relationships, and working to continuously improve processes.
We’re looking to hire the best person and support fully remote candidates between the PST and EST time zones. We also have offices in Denver and New York if relocating to one of those offices was a preference.
Skills & Requirements:
- Help set the project strategy for SRE programs and reconcile them with other product team priorities.
- Partner with the SRE Manager in pitching the strategy, and resourcing projects
- Start with high-level goals and turn them into detailed functional specs, and work with multiple development teams on implementation
- Propose structural changes to the way the team operates
- Manage complex schedules and roll-out plans
- Manage the inflow of work requests from multiple sources, assuring that the workload on individual team members is fair.
- Manage the post-mortem process. After outages host a post-mortem review and follow up on issues identified.
- Manage vendor relationships
Skills and Background:
- Experience with Linux and/or Windows
- System administration experience, or previous TPM experience on an IT or operations team.
- Understanding of DevOps principles such as fail early and often, The Three Ways, small batches, CI/CD.
- Conceptual knowledge of TCP/IP networking, storage, operating systems, virtualization.
Projects you might do in your first year:
- Reorganize how the SRE team manages the inflow of work requests and project work.
- Host a stakeholder meeting to brainstorm and pick a short-term solution on a technical matter such as an ElasticSearch cluster that is unstable.
- Interview stakeholders of our log system(s), identify use cases, and determine future needs or propose a replacement.
- Plan a major maintenance window where a datacenter is shutdown for a day to replace critical equipment; getting feedback from stakeholders and plan the timeline.
- Manage our annual Microsoft license renewal.
- Suppose we’ve discovered 3 different teams have accounts with a particular SaaS vendor. Work with the teams to consolidate the accounts so we qualify for a bulk discount.
What we want to see:
- Technical education or work history
- Minimum of 4 years as a project or product manager, engineering lead, or equivalent working on IT/SRE/operational programs
- Excellent spec-writing skills
- An understanding of the technical implications of what you ask the team to do
- Excellent telecommuting skills. Even if you work from one of our offices, most of our team members are remote
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly through written word (whether that’s meta or forum posts, specs, blogging, customer communications etc…)
- Familiarity with Stack Overflow and a drive to make our products better
If you want to work remotely…. We’ll help you set up a great home office, with an ergonomic chair, standing desk, and any other equipment you need to do your job.
If you want to work in our office… You’ll get your own private office in our headquarters in New York City, and enjoy additional benefits like free lunch every day prepared by our own in-house chefs, transportation reimbursement, and all the espresso you can drink.
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world’s developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremony to an absolute minimum.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.