We’re looking for a Senior Backend Engineer to join the engineering team at Zapier. Want to create a simple product that allows anyone to do complex, incredible things with the world’s APIs? Then keep reading!
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. We hope you’ll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
We skew heavily towards candidates who have professional experience with Python. If you have none, or it has been a long time since you worked in Python, you can still apply, but know you’ll be ranked against candidates with current experience.
You love building new things. Your work could be on our workflow engine, the editor that our customers use to build their Zaps, our platform where partners build their integrations, or any number of areas in between. You’ll have a primary focus on backend development in Python, though may need to jump into the frontend from time to time. Zapier is built on Django, React, node.js and AWS. We use modern tools, which means you’ll have the opportunity to work with software like Memcached, RabbitMQ, Zookeeper, Docker, Redis, Jenkins, Puppet, Ansible and much more.
You have worked with teams before on large Python projects.You’re also familiar with frameworks like Django and React You understand how to design systems in a distributed manner across hundreds (and even thousands) of servers – we handle 100s of millions of API calls every week and are growing fast.
You love shipping to customers. Your engineering projects will focus on understanding customers’ needs and translating those needs from product specifications into functional, production ready code. You’ll have the opportunity to ship code daily that will be used by millions of people.
You love doing things efficiently. At Zapier, we believe in “Don’t be a Robot, Build the Robot.” We build systems and processes that let us scale our impact to be larger than ourselves.
You love learning. Engineering is an ever-evolving world. You enjoy playing with new tech and exploring areas that you might not have experience with yet.
You love to set your own course. You will have a team meeting and a one-on-one meeting every week where you can help direct the course of your projects. You’ll have a direct impact on what we work on next.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you’ll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you’ll probably do:
- Help scale a fast-growing and unique system – our workflow engine connects with thousands of APIs across thousands of servers
- Plan and build product features – directly impact how our customers can be more productive
- Improve our developer platform – directly impact the way partner devs add their apps to Zapier
- Ship code to millions of users every week
- Work with hundreds of different API integrations
- Give back to the community via open source and blog posts
- Experiment: this is a startup so everything can change
As a part of Zapier’s all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
You’ll also have the opportunity to specialize in a variety of areas of the Zapier codebase, including core product or platform development. Focusing on a specialization will not limit your area for growth at Zapier as each engineer brings a unique perspective and can contribute differently in all areas. We encourage participation and will frequently have engineers contribute across teams to assist in projects.
For the past six years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
If you want to work remote, that’s great. If you want to work near others, that’s cool too. Our team of 200+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don’t have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we don’t use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get tointeract with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US-based employees.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don’t seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.