We’re looking for a writer to create content geared toward developers that showcases the power of GitHub’s products and tools.
You’ll report to the Product Documentation Team Manager and work with the Product Documentation team. The Product Documentation’s team mission is to guide everyone who uses GitHub to confidently meet their goals. We know that developers need helpful, accurate information at every stage of their journey to be successful.
The Product Documentation team is highly distributed and we embrace an environment of asynchronous communication. You’ll need strong communication skills and the ability to build working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
If you’re a patient, compassionate writer who loves crafting innovative, useful documentation and usage samples to help developers learn new technologies and build software, we’d like to hear from you!
- Create helpful, scalable documentation for developers learning about developer products and features, including APIs.
- Collaborate with the Product Documentation team to plan, create, and maintain developer content.
- Review and edit drafts of developer content from other writers and developers.
- Communicate with teams across GitHub about user feedback, product direction and vision, and technical product information.
- Experience documenting APIs, writing code samples, quickstart guides, and other technical content that helps developers build or extend products and features.
- Working knowledge of HTTP and web requests.
- Strong developer advocate, especially for those new to a platform.
- Ability to compassionately give and receive editorial and technical feedback.
- Strong ability to plan, prioritize, and carry out complex writing projects with high attention to detail along the way.
- Excellent communication skills, especially when working with a distributed team.
It would be helpful to have
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub
- Experience working with established content models and style manuals
- Experience working collaboratively on content with other writers or stakeholders
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. Over 40 million people use GitHub to build amazing things together across 100 million repositories. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
- Customer Obsessed
- Trust by Default
- Ship to Learn
- Own the Outcome
- Growth Mindset
- Global Product, Global Team
- Anything is Possible
- Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.