Duration: 6 months
This is a paid internship.
As a Communications Intern with the Learning and Evaluation team you will be involved in supporting the Communications and Outreach Coordinator in preparation for Wikimedia community conferences and presentations.
- Support conference communications for the Community Engagement team. (includes event planning, materials preparation).
- Help plan workshops and community events for program leaders; document the outcome of those events.
- Assist with the coordination of technology supports for communications and events.
- Coauthor blog posts and support to other communications to program leaders and the broader community to share learning.
- Assist in overseeing communication and resource translation into different languages
- Help to ensure that materials are understandable for a highly diverse community from different countries
- Other duties as needed.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Regular coordination with the Communications & Outreach Coordinator and Community Engagement team members
- Bi-weekly debriefs with team regarding progress and status of communications, and opportunities for engaging with, the community program leaders
- 1-2 Blog posts each month and other communications
- Up-to-date program leader consult and engagement tracking
- Up-to-date information on portal pages
- Successful coordination of virtual meetings and in-person events (Virtual Learning Circles, Conference Workshops)
- Monthly metrics stories and reporting for department communications about community work
We’d like you to have these skills:
The Communications Intern should have the following experience and personal characteristics:
- Master’s degree in communications or related field OR equivalent combination of Bachelor’s degree and experience in communications & storytelling
- High energy for and commitment to the Wikimedia Foundation’s free knowledge mission
- Strong track record of positive and friendly communication with diverse cultural and language communities
- A strong interest in analyzing and synthesizing quantitative and qualitative data from different sources to create simple, meaningful tables and graphs.
- Proven ability to adhere to deadlines and to seek out learning & support for collaborative projects
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Experience working with volunteers
- Willingness to accommodate scheduling requirements of frequent interactions across time zones, with collaborators from around the world
- The ability to excel in a fast‐paced, multitasking environment that demands fast turn‐around.
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Understanding of the existing landscape of different Wikimedia programs (a plus)
- Strong record of contributing to Wikimedia projects (a major plus)
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and its sister free knowledge sites. Wikipedia consists of nearly 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 80,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 240 staff members.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.