Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Remote. All applicants are welcome.
Salary Range: The salary range for the role of Communications Director is $100K – $130K for candidates based in SF, NYC or DC. The salary range will be adjusted based on cost of living data for folks who live in less expensive regions. Here’s why: we feel strongly that progressive organizations should optimize for a consistent standard of living for all employees.
Turnout2020 is a nonprofit organization founded by a small team of elections and technology experts (including the founders of Vote.org and Vote.gov), who have come together to combat the chaos of the 2020 election cycle by helping to to drive record-shattering voter turnout. We will accomplish this via hyper-aggressive and targeted outreach to the millions of low and no-propensity voters who are generally neglected by partisan groups. This isn’t just empty rhetoric: collectively we’ve registered about 20 million voters and run GOTV to tens of millions more in our past roles. Now we’re scaling up.
What we’re looking for:
Turnout2020 is seeking a dynamic communications professional with a strong advocacy lense and passion for voting access to center the “non-voter” in the narrative of the 2020 elections, while amplifying the impact of the mission and programs of Turnout2020. You’re absolutely energized by the idea of creating a hero out of democracy’s tired, huddled masses. This seasoned executor should have demonstrated experience hijacking news cycles to further advocacy campaigns, a keen sense of the mechanics that drive a good story, and a knack for developing and carrying a message across channels. The successful candidate is competent and comfortable working across organizational functions and teams to coordinate messaging, pitch press, and project manage deliverables.
You’ll be working primarily with our CEO, outside media consultants, and vendors to manage the Turnout2020 communications strategies and capitalize on creative opportunities to amplify the organizations messaging and drive the impact of its mission.
Here’s what you’ll be working on:
- National Stories: Long and short-form updates, features, and multi-stakeholder stories in national political, cultural, technology, and academic-adjacent outlets (think: MIT Technology Review, HBR, etc.). Expect a ton of inbound, and intend for it to be about 20% of the opportunity picture.
- Community Communications: Develop missives to partners, allies, and practitioners that increase awareness of our capabilities and drive adoption of our tools and platform.
- Executive Visibility: Everything from the main stage at major thought leadership events to of-the-moment op-eds (both through owned and earned outlets).
- News Jacking: We’re in a media environment where more is published on 2020 elections than on K-pop & TikTok combined. You’ll grab relevant news stories, inject it with Turnout2020 messaging, and release it to generate tons of media coverage and engagement that expand the Turnout2020 mission.
- Long-form Academic: Working with a specialist writer and collaborator(s), you will prepare Turnout2020 program, strategy, and research for publication in peer-reviewed journals and academic outlets.
- Other Turnout2020 projects as assigned.
You should meet the following minimum requirements:
- 5-7+ years of progressively responsible experience, either in a communications team or as a solo force of nature
- A true passion for pushing and creating a new role for the non-voter in our election story.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (better than this job description!)
- Media relationships in at least 60% of the target areas listed above in “National Stories”.
- A little learning / networking / hustle on the job to grow into the rest is expected.
You should also have 2-3 of the following:
- Prior political, campaign, or organizing experience strongly preferred.
- Experience in a rapid response media environment.
- Extensive and varied on the record experience and established relationships with political reporters.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences and write quickly and in a compelling manner about multiple topics.
- Energetic ability to multi-task and manage projects in a fast-paced and changeable environment.
- Willingness to invest multiple teams and stakeholders in communications efforts.
Some of the benefits of working here:
- Short commute. We all work from home and it is just the best.
- Parent friendly policies. If you need to take 3-5pm off every day to get your kids from school and make after school snacks, we’re totally cool with that.
- Excellent medical coverage. Full health, dental, and vision for employees and generous employer subsidies for dependent children.
- Generous time off. Unlimited paid vacation with leadership approval.
- We offer a 401(k) because we want you to retire one day.
- Highly competent, down to earth, and humble team.
- Awesome slack channels. #pets, #politics, and #random are our favs.
How to apply:
You’ll need a resume and the ability to answer a handful of short questions. We don’t require a cover letter, because you don’t want to write one and we don’t want to read them.
Applications are processed on a rolling basis, and we will accept applications until the role is filled. We are, however, looking to fill this role ASAP, so you should apply as soon as you can.
Turnout2020 is an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don’t discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, genetic information, or political affiliation.
We cannot provide sponsorship for those requiring visas or work permits.