Here at TED, we create the TED Talks video series, the globe-spanning TED Fellows program, the TED-Ed movement to support learners of all ages, and many more idea-driven initiatives. And it’s all powered by our world-class technology.
TED’s Technology Team focuses on continuous improvement for users to easily access ideas and spread them far and wide within their communities. This is an opportunity to join a team that believes passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world.
We are looking for a Back-end Engineer to help us deliver a systems oriented view of TED’s content management and distribution, including video production, content authoring, and support of a wide array of distributed business logic.
This is a full-time remote position.
Who are you?
- You have a deep knowledge of and experience with Ruby & Ruby on Rails, Node.js w/ Express.js, Mocha.js, developing APIs, and full integrated back-end systems.
- You have a proven track record of writing clean and maintainable code that is well covered by tests.
- You’re familiar with application and data security best practices as well as with server side design patterns and architecture.
- You work well in iterative development process.
- You are self-motivated with a passion for jumping into various projects with confidence.
- You have a good sense of humor and preferably a love of puns.
What will you do?
- Make sure our data is well designed, systemically coherent, and interoperable with a polyglot environment all while ensuring it can get to where it needs to go across the globe to support a diverse set of needs.
- Write and support a great deal of our internal tooling around deployments, continuous integration, and audit.
- Work on the entire range of TED initiatives including TEDx, TED-Ed, TED Fellows, The Audacious Project, as well as the main TED.com site.
At TED we value:
- Effective workflows– Team members that are willing to contribute, however possible, to ensure overall effectiveness of position.
- Communication and collaboration– Our team has excellent written and oral communication skills (ability to create & maintain technical documentation).
- Structured support– Engineers have regular support and mentoring from the Director of Engineering and CTO.
- Professional development– All employees receive a professional development stipend annually.
- Work-life balance– Although hard-working, we actively promote a work-life balance and offer a 2- week summer break and 1-week winter break in addition to paid time off.
Our team is passionate about TED’s content and the prospect of creating a stronger platform to enable the exchange of ideas worldwide. We’re endlessly curious. We don’t take ourselves too seriously. And we love to work alongside nice people.
Generous health/dental/vision benefits and a company-matched 401K are part of the deal. Every employee also gets an annual continuing education allowance to use for professional development!
Please attach a cover letter to your resume.