The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and a suite of other wiki projects. We operate one of the world’s top ten websites and have global reach and impact. Innovation is critical to our mission to support every human in sharing knowledge. We are looking for an Associate Program Manager to serve the Readers team within our Audiences Department that creates and runs applications that allow users to access Wikipedia from mobile devices.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about making operational excellence a prominent part of our daily work.
The Associate Program Manager will work with a small number of teams. We are looking for someone who will become a trusted partner and a key member of the Readers team within the Audiences Department.
- Manage the coordination and delivery of multiple projects including facilitation of shared understanding of timelines across multiple customer teams
- Facilitate internal Apps teams communications across teams and departments as well as throughout the larger organization
- Focus on developing and supporting healthy team dynamics as well as a culture that welcomes diverse perspectives
- Promote a culture of continuous improvement and process optimization
- Partner with Product Owner while also supporting expert judgment of the team
- Facilitate sprint planning, standups, retrospectives, and backlog grooming
- BA/BS degree or equivalent in related work experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to deal effectively with all levels of employees and management
- Strong facilitation skills
- Ability to build relationships and trust
- A good listener whose people skills include leadership, diplomacy, and negotiation
- Ability to influence team members and stakeholders to negotiate mutually agreeable solutions and the ability to motivate team members toward that shared goal
- Strong problem solving and decision-making skills
- Strong skills in the areas of: prioritization, organization, planning, and time management
- Ability to anticipate risks, resolve conflicts, and initiate escalation paths.
- Knowledge of theoretical and practical aspects of project management including identifying stakeholders and risks, defining schedules, requirements definition, testing, and implementation
- Familiarity with Agile principles
- Experience working in an international organization that has a distributed workforce and a very strong culture
Nice to have’s
- Passion for Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
- Understanding of free culture / free software / open source principles
- Experience with, or understanding of, free knowledge, open source, free culture, or other online communities and operates with high sensitivity around culture with the goal to respect, preserve and enhance it
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and several other Wikimedia free knowledge sites. Every month, the Wikimedia sites are accessed by more than a billion unique devices. Wikipedia consists of more than 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 250,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 300 staff members.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location