Elite Daily is seeking a Contributing News Editor to join its Weekend News & Entertainment team. The ideal candidate has a passion for covering celebrity news as well as trending politics and viral news stories for a site that’s written for and by millennial women. Strong news judgment, breaking news experience, and attention to the stories and angles that resonate with the Elite Daily audience are essential for this position, along with a desire to continue building Elite Daily’s identity as a feminist, fun, and informative place for its readers.
This editor will be responsible for assigning and editig several articles per day with a team of writers. Candidates should have experience optimizing angles and headlines for both SEO and various social media platforms. They should be comfortable covering a wide range of stories, whether it be a surprise Ariana Grande song, a new Taco Bell offering, or the latest viral politics tweet. Interested candidates should be eager to deliver stories to like-minded readers quickly and expertly and thrive in fast-paced situations.
**Please note that this position is a remote, part-time position with a work schedule that includes both Saturdays and Sundays.**
- Search for relevant stories with an emphasis on celebrity, music, TV, viral, food, and politics
- Manage a team of writers, making judgment calls on their pitches and assigning all stories
- Effectively package posts for both search and social optimization, with enticing headlines and teasers
- Edit stories for style, sourcing, grammar, organization, etc.
- Write stories during breaking news events, if/when needed
- 1-3 years editing experience in entertainment, news, and/or viral coverage
- Strong background in journalism (libel, fact-checking, and photo best practices)
- The ability to generate, assign, and edit an array of topics quickly and efficiently
- Strong editorial leadership in breaking news situations
- Pitch-perfect news judgment