We’re a tech company that’s changing how people bank and think about their finances. We value empathy, curiosity, craft and efficacy. Our mission is to help people feel confident with their money. We do that be bringing humanity, elegance and ease to the consumer banking experience. And we make banking beautiful.
As an engineer on the Product Security team, you’ll be responsible for making sure that the products that Simple ships to our customers are secure. Safety isn’t a static, unchanging concept. Rather, a safe product is well-designed, has had a lot of craft put into its’ design and delivery, and is unlikely to have critical security vulnerabilities.
On a day to day basis you will be working closely with our software engineers and other product security engineers to help impact design decisions and correct security flaws as they are found. You will also conduct in-house penetration testing and code-reviews of Simple applications and platform and develop and integrate automated solutions for conducting these tests.
This is a experienced-level position with a high degree of autonomy – you will tackle and manage high-level security tasks in using processes that you have input in creating and maintaining. You will work closely with a variety of engineering disciplines, and will need to communicate effectively and be productive in an environment working with other engineers.
We believe strongly in metrics, testing, continuous integration, and working fluidly and harmoniously with our engineering and product teams. We take security very, very seriously.
You will be successful in this role if you are passionate about security and continuously seek ways to improve your craft. You believe that security is more of a concept than an organization and it is your mission to foster that culture across team boundaries. You have long term plans to eliminate risk and are able to seek out the highest value mitigations first. You are able to demonstrate easily whether something is vulnerable or not and educate your peers on the best methods for mitigation.
What You’ll Do All Day:
- Perform security assessments of existing and newly developed Simple features and products. Clearly communicate identified vulnerabilities and identify new assessment techniques to prevent them in the future. Document comprehensive reports on the assessment effort and discovered vulnerabilities.
- Review and triage bug bounty submissions, reproduce vulnerabilities, determine and execute appropriate payouts
- Leverage automated security analysis tools and integrate them within our development workflow. Work to improve the accuracy and coverage of these tools
- Participate in threat modeling with TAFT engineers and product teams
- Provide consultation to engineering teams on technical security decisions including architecture, design, code, testing strategy, and triage of security bugs
- Provide training to engineering on relevant security topics including facilitation of capture the flag events and/or monthly training lunch and learns
We’d Like To See:
- Knowledge of security flaws and their resolution as listed in sites like OWASP, SANS, etc.
- Experience in secure application architecture, design, developing, code reviewing, and penetration testing web based applications
- Experience in developing automated security testing solutions with the ability to integrate into engineering tools such as github, jenkins, or other continuous integration tools.
- Proficiency with at least one programming language, such as Python or Ruby.
- Familiarity with cloud security, especially as it relates to AWS.
- Understanding of cryptography, including protocols, key management, encryption and hashing methods.
- Experience writing vulnerability reports and communicating their technical details and security impact to developers and management.
- Experience with security and engineering tools such as Burp Suite, sqlmap, wireshark, Apache mod_security or other WAF solutions, Threat Stack, jenkins, and Git.
- Experience managing bug bounty programs
We recognize the dire lack of diversity in our industry, and we’re not okay with it. We actively seek to address it with our hiring and retention process, as well as our office culture. We want a great coworker — passion, humor, and desire to learn matter more to us than raw technical chops. If you’re on the fence about whether you’re a fit, we say go for it, and apply!
Why Simple’s a great place to work:
- Based in Portland, Oregon– a beautiful place to live and work (or just see in the background if you work remotely).
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- A supportive and nurturing place to work. We actively consider how we can improve employees’ quality of life–both inside and outside the office.
- Committed to hiring quality human beings. Simple is a place where others will watch out for you and help you learn. We actually like and respect each other.
- We give a damn about what we do, both as individual contributors and as a company on a mission to change banking. We’re passionate and nerdy about our work; in fact we’re kind of that way about things outside of work, too.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need an accommodation in the application process.
A background check will be required for this opportunity.
Simple provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Simple complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
By submitting this application, you certify that the facts contained in your application are true and complete to the best of your knowledge. If you are employed, false statements on your application will be grounds for termination.