Wikipedia is looking for an experienced and collaborative Product Manager to drive improvements to Wikipedia that enable our communities to achieve our Vision: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
For this role, you will join our Readers Team, a team dedicated to improving the way that readers throughout the world consume Wikipedia content. As a product manager on a relatively small team, you are responsible for a large part of the Wikipedia user experience.
Product Managers at Wikipedia work with engineers, designers, researchers and communities of users to build features, products and services used by hundreds of millions of people around the world. This is an opportunity to have a high level of positive impact, worldwide.
We’d like you to do these things:
- Lead the creation and development of features that will enhance the dissemination and consumption of Wikipedia content through native Android apps
- Work with a highly talented team of engineers and designers to define, design, and build features that delight
- Understand the needs of users in order to prioritize new features and product enhancements for the development team
- Collaborate with our large community of active users and volunteers to improve features
- Communicate product vision to internal and external partners
- Use both qualitative and quantitative methods to measure the impact of features
- Be a positive force for change!
We’d like you to have these skills:
- Bachelors degree and 2+ years’ Product Management experience with mobile apps
- Working knowledge of the Android platform and Play Store ecosystem
- Experience working with large groups of active collaborators: community building, activism, product evangelism, or in open source movements
- Experience working in an agile software development environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
And it would be even more awesome if you have this:
- Experience with Play Store marketing and app growth
- Experience building consumer-facing apps
- Proficiency in more than one language
- Experience editing Wikipedia
- Experience with open source software development
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and several other Wikimedia free knowledge sites. Every month, the Wikimedia sites are accessed by more than a billion unique devices. Wikipedia consists of more than 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 70,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 240 staff members.
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, massages, cooking classes and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location