GitHub’s user base is growing and the web support team is growing with it. We’re looking for a Web Support Manager located in North America to work alongside our current US and EU/APAC Account Support Managers to help lead our passionate Accounts Support staff and work with them to create effective and efficient support processes and solve users’ problems.
When GitHub users have questions, they email support. Our Accounts Support team handle passwords, email verification, billing, legal, spam and abuse, account lockouts, fraud, and helping people choose plans. This requires a logical brain and a spidey sense for solving problems. Our support teammates also have excellent writing chops: stellar grammar, charming written personality, and the ability to explain complicated things simply. We measure our success in swiftness, accuracy, and clarity.
The Web Support Manager will report to the Director of Web Support. They will help maintain open lines of communication among our Accounts Support team members and help keep work focused on things that are important to the individuals, the team, and the company.
They will also keep communication open with the Engineering and Product teams to serve everyone involved. The Web Support Manager will work with the Human Resources team to help resolve personnel issues as they arise as well as strategic planning and hiring for Web Support.
Our support organization is highly distributed and the right candidate will thrive in a remote environment. We expect you to be customer service-oriented internally as well as externally and able to create and maintain effective, often asynchronous working relationships with coworkers and your fellow Accounts Support Managers in locations around the globe.
– Meeting 1-1 with team members on a regular basis
– Planning and supporting career development,
– Setting goals and objectives
– Giving guided performance feedback
– Serving as a coach and mentor
– Keeping communication channels open within the entire Support team as well as cross-functionally
– Serving as hiring manager for the team
– Participating in management conversations about the day-to-day business as well as future direction and strategy of the team
– Responding to user emails
– Working with Engineering to resolve problems on GitHub.com
– Driving efficiencies within support tools and processes
– Tracking and monitoring project progress and ensuring deliverables are completed
– Managing the health of our accounts support ticket queue: identifying problems (sticking points, unresolved cases, inefficiencies), taking action to solve those problems, establishing and managing key metrics
– Monitoring and improving the quality of our support
– Must currently reside in one of the following: USA, Canada
– Must have current working authorization in country listed above
– Stellar written and verbal communication skills
– Experience with managing people
– Passionate about creating and fostering good support practices
– Ability to empathize with a diverse range of people
– A strong sense of empathy and the ability to advocate for others
– Excellent problem solving skills
– A malleable writing style and voice
– Have worked with a distributed team
– Experience working remotely
– Managing a remote team
– Hiring experience
– Prior customer support experience
– Technical experience (QA, documentation, elaborate boardgames)
Who we are and what we value:
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over ten million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com, and GitHub Enterprise, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write better code, faster. Collaboration We believe the best work is done together. Empathy We believe in putting people first. Quality We believe in setting the standard for excellence. Positive Impact We believe in making the world a better place through our work. Shipping We believe in creating things for the people using them.
GitHub is committed to building a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from people of color and other groups currently underrepresented in tech. We are looking for candidates who:
- Display a strong commitment to building an inclusive tech environment
- Have demonstrated resilience and resourcefulness both in and outside of the workplace
- Can bring a new perspective based on unique educational, professional, and lived experiences
- Can effectively communicate with people from disparate backgrounds
- Have experience mentoring/coaching/teaching, particularly in environments with diverse students/participants
- We have a lot of exciting things to do, and we’re looking for the right people to grow with us!
Why you should join:
At GitHub, we’re committed to collaboration, experimentation, and always staying classy.
Because of this unique perspective, we’ve established one of the most flexible and well designed physical workspaces around that encourages you to work as you work best. Right now, over 60% of our employees are based outside of our San Francisco (SOMA) headquarters and work according to how they get their best stuff done.
Ensuring that GitHubbers are healthy, motivated, focused and creative is how GitHub stays awesome. Part of this is ensuring that our benefits* are out of this world.
In a nutshell, we’ve built and are growing a place where we truly love working, and we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people with many different backgrounds and lifestyles, and we like it that way. We invite applications from people of all stripes. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences that people imagine to discriminate against one another. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s anything we can do to make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate.
*Please note that benefits vary by country, if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask your recruiter!